bug or user error?

Hello,

since yesterday I noticed that in the chord track’s circle fo fifths tab that for example C for some reason is displayed as B#. Is this a bug? I can’t seem to change it anywhere to just display it as C again. Any help would be apreciated.

Hi and welcome,

It depends, what is your Root Chord.

Hello Martin, and thanks.

The root in this case is C major, which for some reason now gets displayed as B#.

Could you send a screenshot, please?

https://s11.postimg.org/okhmqpsqr/Cubase.jpg

It’s not the end of the world, but it’s clearly not working like it used to be, at least for me. Also, when you drop it into a chord track, the chord track still displays it correct. Just not in the circle of fifths and the promixity window.

Downloading the cubase 9 installer again, lets see if that fixes it.

Ok, this is clearly a bug. Went back to 0.10 and it now is displayed correctly.

Actually, there were some changes in this area. I will check this later today and get back to you.

It might have to do with this change “Fixed an issue where some chord symbols were shown with an incorrect enharmonic shift.”

Exactly.

Same Issue.

I was putting up a chord track and C Major 7, when pulled to an instrument track, was labeled B# Major 7.

Cubase has improved on its enharmonics, but still does not adequately provide Flat Keys and Flat Notes in the Key Editor. There have been some welcome improvements, but now, seeing B# Major 7, I have to wonder if something else has gone awry? I’ll try some other Chords and see if similar issues show up. The B# Major 7 appeared in a project that had no Root Key set for it.

Yes, I can confirm it. The same behavior here. In Cubase 9.0.10, it was C, in C9.0.20, it’s B#.

I will report it as a bug.

Thanks!

Here’s a screen shot. Please reference this in the bug report’s post if you think it would be helpful. Do you think a reset of Preferences would correct this or is it a deeper issue? I’d hate to have to, again, reset them, I just got them back to a good place after resetting them to correct the disappearing Mixer Controls issue.

I don’t expect, Preferences trashing would solve this.

But I’m thinking, maybe there is a Preferences to switch the enharmonic shift off (I cannot have a look, I’m out of Cubase for today already).

“…and changed others so they do not.” :unamused:

My biggest “beef” with Cubase is that it does not provided normal Flat Notes and Flat Keys. It has improved in the two versions (Pro 8 and Pro 9) I’ve used, but until Cubase provides Flat Keys and Sharp Keys, Flat Notes and Sharp Notes in the Key Editor, the Chord Track, Chord Pads, etc, I won’t be fully comfortable with it.

We’re musicians and our language includes both flat and sharp Notes and Keys. Often we may prefer the Flat Keys since so many of the concert transposing instruments use Flat Keys or we have to transpose to accommodate vocalists and so on – there’s myriad reasons including preferences for the sound of certain Keys.

Drop tuned instruments are also widely used in various rock genres, Punk and Hard Corps for example. While the “band” might call a down tuned E an “E,” it really is Eb and that makes a tremendous difference in how this material will be mixed.

I have no idea what kind of programming it would take to correct this deficiency in the program, and I certainly have learned to cope with it. However, I maintain that Cubase needs a full, mature implementation of Flat and Sharp Keys (Major Keys (notes) and Relative Minor Keys (notes) per normal Music Theory conventions. For me and I think for all musicians, this refinement would make Cubase a much easier to use and more enjoyable music/sound creation tool for professionals and dedicated amateurs alike.

Cubase offers a very impressive and useful set of musical features – chords, scales, transposition. The more I learn to use them, the more I like them. However, Cubase really needs to correct this issue and I hope a correction will be forthcoming soon. Thanks.

Well, in the Score editor everything has always worked musically, and I for one cannot complain at all. But the project page does not, unfortunately, inherit any of key and note spelling information.

The Chord Track can make the editors and the project page key-aware, are you familiar with that? I mean, add one chord to the track and then activate the pref, Enharmonics from Chord Track in Event Display-Chords and pitches

Of course, certain lists are not part of it, and the supernatural key of G# will be displayed. :wink: But note names in the editor are spelled right, and it appears to work quite well as far as that goes.

I have to learn Score Editor more completely. I think I’m likely missing out on some good tools there. I use it often for display. It’s very helpful for chord voicing. I have put more time into working with it.

I recently re-set the Preferences, which corrected a host of small errors and anomalies, but may have changed the Enharmonics settings. I’ll check on that. Thanks.

Bump

when will this be fixed ?