[BUG] Quantizing sliced drums is broken(video/.cpr included)

:question:

Confirmed!

Iterative Quantize problem, The chosen Quantize Preset and grid value is not approximated. A seemingly erratic unintentional value is approximated instead.

Repro:
Note:
An animated gif illustrates the repro and the problem. The gif can only be viewed if you are logged in to the forum:
IterativeQuantizeBug.gif
Open Empty Project

Create Audio Track

Import Audio Material ABC to Audio Track (let’s say the Meterial ABC has at least a length of 20 seconds)

Turn Snap Off, Grid Type–> “Use Quantize”, Quantize Preset to 1/1, Turn Iterative Quantize On; By standard iQ is set to 60% lets leave it at 60%.

Select the Audio Event

Cut at
1.4.4.6 (1.04.04.006) (Enter value in Transport bar to place cursor and hit Alt+X for split at cursor)
When you cut the event on the right will be automatically selected
Now hit Q for “Iterative Quantize” to approximate the nearest 1/1 count
Now hit Q again for “Iterative Quantize” and closer approximation to 1/1
Now hit Q again for “Iterative Quantize” and closer approximation to 1/1

Now Cut at
2.4.4.60 (Enter value in Transport bar to place cursor and hit Alt+X for split at cursor)
When you cut the event on the right of the cut will be selected
Now hit Q for “Iterative Quantize” to approximate the nearest 1/1 count

Problem:
The event does not approximate the nearest 1/1 count but jumps to a different value and approximates 2.2.2.111

Workaround:
The problem is related to the offset settings for the event you want to iQ.
These settings can be viewed in the infoline.
If an offset beneath 1.00.00.000 is entered for the event you want to iQ the aproximation will function as expected.

Status, Comments
Confirmed, Cubase 6.0.2 Build 291
Original report topic
(28651)

Thank you!
Gr,
JHP

Thank you for your reply but while this is somewhat similar to what i’m describing, as I’ve stated before, this is a separate bug. I’m sorry that it’s not in frame in the video but i am NOT using ITERATIVE quantize. I’m also as you can see only experiencing this problem at random, but once i do experience it with an object it consistently will attempt to move to the wrong beat. Clearly the workaround you are providing is irrelevant to my problem since iQ is off. PLEASE look into this, I’ve confirmed it on 3 machines now.

-zack

Thank you for your reply but while this is somewhat similar to what i’m describing, as I’ve stated before, this is a separate bug. I’m sorry that it’s not in frame in the video but i am NOT using ITERATIVE quantize. I’m also as you can see only experiencing this problem at random, but once i do experience it with an object it consistently will attempt to move to the wrong beat. Clearly the workaround you are providing is irrelevant to my problem since iQ is off. PLEASE look into this, I’ve confirmed it on 3 machines now.

+100 this is a serious issue!!!

I’m bumping this because it could be serious but on another hand I can’t quite believe that there are only about 4-5 Cubase users doing this so until the other few thousand chime in the D.A. in my head says that maybe there’s a setting somewhere. (Priority maybe?) Although if it’s that simple a fix then maybe another user or some company tech should be here by now with an explanation or solution.

So, probable company viewpoint: 5-6 people get this = setting (yes, even on different computers, we all have our preferences)
1000 people get it = a bug.
You may have to keep plugging at it but Hippo’s advice is still the best so far. They do like detailed breakdowns.
A vid might do but they can’t see the machine configuration or the button pushing etc so it still may be only part of the picture.

I’m on to this.(28652)
Here is a gif on drum editing and quantizing. I am reproducing the workflow covered in the Advanced Video Tutorial 10 on the Cubase 6 DVD in this gif. This is just to make users aware of the new drum editing and quantization features:
[attachment=0]DrumQuantizeWorkflow_QuickExample.gif[/attachment]
There is also another quantization method. Many Cubase 6 users are not aware of the “Advanced Quantize–> Audiowarp Quantize” function. This function elastically stretches the Hitpoints to the grid. The results are different to slicing and crossfading. We used to have to warp audio material by hand but this function does it automatically.

Thanks,
Gr,
JHP
DrumQuantizeWorkflow_QuickExample.gif

I somewhat agree though i think the reason not everybody is getting this is that it’s a somewhat strange way to work. Many people work with hitpoints and using the audiowarp type quantizing and such. I just happen to like to do all my more complex problems by hand. it COULD be a setting though, no doubt. I’ve tried a whole lot though.

In regards to the video, i made sure that you can SEE me clicking quantize. If you want though I can make a more elaborate video that goes through every page or preferences and shows mouse clicks only. i just figured this video was good enough to show the bug.

Just to be clear to the other members here, JHP is PM’ing me and trying to help. Hopefully we’ll finally at least get this thing nailed down so they know what to fix.

Also, some may disagree and it is just sort of arguing semantics, but this is a bug EVEN if it’s just an issue with a setting i have on all my computers. I changed basically no settings at all when i was upgraded from C5.52 to 6.00 and if cubase is borking a settings that makes basic audio quantizing fail 1/10 times then that is a bug. Not that i’m saying that’s what’s happening, i’m just saying, don’t try to tell me it’s not a bug, one way or another it is.

Nowt stopping you thinking it’s a bug. So it must be. :mrgreen: A bug is generally a fault in the program’s fabric whereas you can get oversights and design flaws and while, to all intents, they can be called bugs the programmer will rarely agree with you and some firms can be quite pedantic about that.
Bit like (cars again :unamused: ) if you only sell the latest car in the US, say with right hand drive you wouldn’t call that a bug but if the steering pulled to the left you would.

You say you changed no settings from C5 to C6 but maybe there were (new) settings that you did need to make. Each new version of Cubase has simple additions, omissions and buttons to push that can make a significant difference to the functionality of one or more components.

I will NOT take the bait to hijack this thread into a discussion of what a bug is or isn’t hahaha :smiley:

Typically I would, but this problem is way to serious and career altering for me to let this conversation turn silly.

Tell me have you tried to repro the bug on your system? I bet you can…

Okay here is an example project for repro. it’s pretty simple. try to quantize the pink object(also the last object) to the nearest 16th note. It is currently at 46. 2. 2. 45 . It should quantize to 46.2.2.0 but instead it goes to 46. 1. 3. 0 when you press quantize. I had my partner at the studio make this since i wasn’t at studio to so i can’t explain it much further than that but hopefully it will all be quite obvious. I would love to know if this quantizes correctly on other people’s machines. As of now, the only way to correct the problem is have “snap to grid” on and drag the object with the mouse to the correct beat.

http://www.castleultimate.com/glitchtest.cpr

Also just to be clear, I had seen that video and have used both that method and the audiowarp method to great success. They work flawlessly as described. Problem is, they’re useless for doing complex and precise quantizing of death metal drummers for example. It’s for when i need to do old fashioned hand editing of drums(and mind you, i’ve had this bug occur when editing guitar DIs as well) that it rears it’s ugly head. In other words, those methods while awesome, are in no way a solution to this bug.

I could reproduce and reported the issue (28652).

Thank you for your help and the project,
Gr,
JHP

no thank you. I can rest easy now knowing that Steinberg actually knows about this now and acknowledges that i’m not taking crazy pills haha. :smiley: