Bug? Recording dialog Monitor

This is very annoying: Every time I open the recording dialog to record a mix from Cubase, the ‘Monitor’ tick box (below the input meter) is set, resulting in feedback through my desk, if Cubase was already playing. I did untick the ‘Enable Audio Monitoring’ option in the options tab, but that makes no difference. How can I make WL remember having the ‘Monitor’ box unticked?

Luck, Arjan

Try deactivating the option “Activate meters when opening dialog”.

OK, thanks PG, I’ll try that. In the mean time: shouldn’t the tick box be remembered by WL, or if not - could you please make it so? (I do actually use the meter during recording - just don’t want the audio)

Luck, Arjan

I have to revisit the system. Among others, I want to separate “monitor signal” and “activate meters”.

Well, after a restart of WL things seem a bit different now, but still not OK. When opening the recording dialog while Cubase is playing, everything is fine. But when I select ‘Record’, the feedback is there. Toggling the ‘Monitor’ tick box off and on gets rid of the feedback. Toggling before pushing record has no effect.

Yes, this works - but ofcourse it also makes sense, since it takes care of the switching off part of the tickbox that I do above (toggling off/on while recording).

In a nutshell: the option tick box ‘Monitor’ in the recording dialog is meant for visual monitoring of the meters (right?), but somehow also activates audio monitoring - more specifically, when ‘Record’ is pushed. I’d like the metering to be active before pushing ‘Record’, but also don’t want feedback from WL when I do push ‘Record’.

Luck, Arjan

But when I select ‘Record’, the feedback is there

In the recording dialog / Options
untick the box “Enable Audio Monitoring”
and close recording dialog, open recording dialog once more
check now if feedback is gone !

this is working on OSX with CoreAudio, will check with Windows 7 later on

regards S-EH

Thanks S-EH, but that was one of the first things I did (see above). Doesn’t work here on Win7-64.

Luck, Arjan

Unfortunately, the behaviour as described has not improved with WL7.2… :cry:

Luck, Arjan

Try this and I don’t know if this work for your setup

In the Recording dialog / Options
untick
“Activate meters when opening record window”

regards S-EH

I’ll check if that changes anything, but if it does, it will defeat my purpose: being able to use the meters during record rehearsal. This without WL sending audio to any output, and without having to toggle meters off for actual recording.

Current situation: meters are checked on, and indicate WL input with Cubase playing - WL gives no audio output. When selecting ‘Record’, I first have to untoggle the meters, and then WL still gives no audio output, and the meters DO indicate what’s being recorded. I just want this checkmark to function without any effect on WL audio output.

Luck, Arjan

PG, can you indicate if anything was done in this area?

Luck, Arjan

Nothing was changed in this area. This could not fit in my schedule. I continue to agree with a change.

Thanks - hopefully something for next update…

Luck, Arjan

Does it help to un activate channels from Cubase to WL and vice versa
I mean make an setup for test if possible
where Cubase sending out channel 1&2 to WL 7 in channel 3&4
and then not using channel 1&2 at all in WL 7 !
is this possible to set up with your hardware
to me it sounds like there is a hard or software feedback loop involved somewhere !

just ideas here

regards S-EH

Hi S-EH, thanks for thinking along here, I really appreciate it. I’ll do some tests later this weekend, but my mixing takes place ouside the box, so the audio is actually sent out by WL.

I have Cubase sending 30 tracks digitally to my DM3200, which sends its stereo out back through the firwire interface on ch 31/32 going into WL. WL output to the DM3200 is on ch 31/32 and this is where the loop starts. Obviously keeping those channels muted works, but I like to switch back and forth between both applications. I’ll do some more testing and see if something new pops up…

Luck, Arjan

Sorry to re-awaken this thread, but this bug is driving me mad - is there any chance of a fix in Wavelab Essentials?

As far as I can see, the “Enable Audio Monitoring” checkbox has no effect at all. Even when it is unchecked, anything being recorded is sent straight out on the playback channels. So if you’re monitoring input you have to remember to mute Wavelab’s playback channels otherwise you get the signal doubled.