Bug report - Cubasis 3 is completely broken

You asked me to submit bug reports and claimed the App Store ratings prove there are happy users, so I figured what’s the most basic thing I can possibly do in Cubasis, and let’s see if it’s possible. Let’s try laying down a drum track with one of the Classic Machines…

I don’t even know where to start with how broken this is. One midi instrument, a Steinberg one at that, and the entire app falls over. Sound is playing back low, slow and horribly distorted, even the count-in metronome, the tempo is nowhere near what it’s set at, the trigger lights on the Eight Classic flash at the correct speed and if I’d left it recording slightly longer you’d have heard it playing notes that hadn’t even been recorded.

All of this is on an iPad Pro 9.7 running the latest iPadOS 13.3 with 136GB of free storage.

Hi drcongo,

Thank you for your message.

It seems something is completely wrong with your setup.

I gave your topic a quick repro (iPad Pro 12.9" 1st Gen, iOS 13.3), where things work as expected.
Please have a look at the results in the downloadable clip right here: https://we.tl/t-QiMZh1BP1S

One of our users (P Bravoo) released several live clips as well: Making a simple trap/hip hop beat in Cubasis 3🔥🔥 on iPad Pro 11. - YouTube

Please give your iPad a full restart and try it again, and let me know if it helps to solve the issue.

Hope that helps.

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi Lars, I’ve restarted many times, nothing improves. I’ve even done a RAM clear thing that I found on another forum - hold down power until the power off screen appears, then press and hold the home button.

Omg! Came on steinberg…?! Let’s update and make something to do for cubasis 3. I was said I used the iPhone 6s plus and there’s any bugs too… please stop saying in other device or your team demo it’s finesse! Please… don’t make lie to public. Please…

*idr739.000

Hi drcongo,

Just to make sure, you’ve restarted the iPad and launched Cubasis with a new project?
Once done, the Classic Machines play back as shown in your video clip?
As shown in the video uploaded by me, this should not be the case.

If you still encounter issues, please let know:

• do you have any 3rd party apps loaded in the project (if so, please try again without these)?
  • what sample rate and hardware latency settings do you use?

Thanks,
    Lars

Hi Andi_lofly,

Up front, please make sure to use a friendly tone, as we do.
Please let me have a short bug report using the steps below, to allow us commenting about your problem.

Thank you,
Lars

Bug Reporting Form

1. Summary/Title
    (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
    (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
    (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
    (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
    (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

Sorry Lars, I’ve given up on Cubasis now. It doesn’t look like any of this is going to get fixed and I really resent paying £50 to spend over a month being a beta tester for software that’s not even alpha quality.

Imagine buying a new car and when you complain to the dealership that it’s delivered without wheels you just get told to turn it off and on again and maybe some wheels will appear, but if they don’t then maybe they will at some point in the distant future.

Hi, Everyone!
I have downloaded Cubasis 3 two days ago.
I have experienced similar issues to the ones posted here: wrong tempo, strange playback issues, app completely shuts down, etc .
I am using an iPhone 8.
I was trying to polish some of my old projects that were still running fine in my old iPad 2 (with iOS 10.3.3 and Cubasis 1.9.7 !). I used iTunes to copy the cbp files to a folder inside Dropbox. From there I copied the projects to the new Cubasis 3.
Some projects open with significant flaws, some others can not be even open as the app crashes. I have realized that tracks/projects that are based on sound files external to Cubasis (ex:wav files imported into
the project) increase the chances of bugs/errors to occur.
Help needed!

Hi drcongo,

Unfortunately you did not reply to my previous message, which also included a short Cubasis test demo.
Were you able to check the file, and is the performance similar to your device? Could the issue(s) be related to 3rd party apps, involved in your project?

We are in preparation of Cubasis 3.0.1 which will address several user-reported issues.
In order to support you, bug descriptions are required to allow us reproducing the problem.

Thanks,
Lars

Hi chiccofff,

As mentioned above, we are already working on the Cubasis 3.0.1 maintenance update which is aimed to address several user-reported issues.
With this update, it is also planned to solve the current issues that can occur, when importing Cubasis 2 projects to Cubasis 3.

Best wishes,
Lars

Hi Lars.

Today was the first day I’ve had a chance to actually try to use C3 properly since the maintenance update, and I hate to say it but it’s still entirely unusable. I’ve lost count of the times it has frozen today, it’s made my entire iPad crash twice sending the thing into a hard reboot, and I’ve barely even started the song. I’ve had to freeze most of my tracks to get any kind of performance out of it, and if I’m going to be reduced to working with samples then I might as well do everything in Beatmaker which doesn’t crash when you add more than 3 tracks.

Are there any crash logs stored on my iPad somewhere that I can send to you, as I would dearly love to have a usable Cubasis like C2 was until iOS 13. Under iOS 12 I had C2 projects with 10 AUv3 tracks most with one ore more effects plugins on, and even though it was obvious that I was pushing Cubasis to its limits, it would just about handle it. I can’t even open these projects any more in C2 or C3, and yet I see people on here that are seemingly happy with Cubasis, so I can only imagine that there is something horribly wrong either with my iPad or with some AUv3 that Cubasis is loading in the background and killing my projects.

If there’s anything I can do to help diagnose this, please let me know.

I’ve found the crash logs, and it says I have share with developer switched on so I presume you’re getting them automatically, but if there’s a device identifier in there that might help you, let me know. The last crash log shows I managed to use Cubasis for a full 10 minutes before it took the entire operating system down.

So yeah, I have some little bugs too… but i can manipulated about this bugs with, but it’s making more time for my workflow. I’m not report yet coz I don’t like they have slow response. I thinks the Cubasis 3 will be 99% stable on April or May? :thinking:

Hi drcongo,

Please do me a favour and follow these steps:

• In Cubasis: go to Projects/Templates and double tap “New Project”
  • Shut off Cubasis
  • Shut off and restart your iPad
  • Launch Cubasis and work with the app on its own

Important:
Please make sure to not load any 3rd party instruments/effect plug-ins.

Please let me know if the app remains fully unusable.

Thanks,
Lars

Hi Lars.

Following up from the thread on the Audiobus forums. Yes, Cubasis is relatively stable if I don’t use any instruments or effects. Following your steps above a have a relatively usable DAW without any of the sounds I want to make.

From the other thread…

The project that I was trying to work on had 3 Classic Machines tracks and two AUv3 instruments (Pure Acid and DRC - both chosen as being among the least resource hungry and rock solid in AUM / Beatmaker 3). DRC was using Blackhole and Pumphouse inserts, but I froze that straight away. Two of my classic machines tracks had to be frozen too, one using UltraTap and the other using Replicant 2. At the point that I gave up, it was just three frozen audio tracks, one Classic Machines track and one Pure Acid track. No effects.

This evening I recreated the project in Beatmaker 3, but with DigiStix standing in for Classic Machines, and with all the AUv3 instruments and effects in place, nothing frozen out as samples. Even when I kept on layering extra effects that weren’t even in the original C3 project, Beatmaker’s CPU meter jumped around between 30 and 52% and shows RAM usage of 256kb

The same Project setup in AUM with Xequence 2 as a midi controller, and utilising multi-out and AU sidechaining to RoughRider 3 - AUM’s DSP meter never went above half way.

On top of that, both Beatmaker and AUM remain responsive with zero UI lag.

Also from the other thread…

if the thing doesn’t work with 3 audio tracks, one Classic Machines and one AUv3 then the thing doesn’t work as a DAW. I don’t think I have any use for it if it can’t use AUv3s.

I’m about to try opening the project in Cubasis 3 again to see what the meters show, but hitting submit first in case it takes the whole iPad down again.

Ok, I think I need to file a bug report on your meters too. CPU shows 3% ish, DSP about 12. Yet the play head was stuttering along like an old man and when I came back here to type this reply, my iPad was able to type less than one character per second until Cubasis crashed in the background and everything I’d typed suddenly caught up.

Hi drcongo,

Thank you for your reply-

Following up from the thread on the Audiobus forums. Yes, Cubasis is relatively stable if I don’t use any instruments or effects. Following your steps above a have a relatively usable DAW without any of the sounds I want to make.

This is helpful and great to know.

In order to find out what causes the problem, please carefully add your favoured 3rd party instruments and/or effects piece by piece, until Cubasis no longer performs as expected.

To have you supported, a clear step description is required (see steps below), to allow us reproducing the problem.
If our engineers are able to reproduce the problem, there might be a good chance to see it addressed.

Doing it this way, we have been able to address more than 30 issues back with the recent release of 3.0.1.

Thank you for your help!

Thanks,
Lars

Bug Reporting Form

1. Summary/Title
    (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

2. Description
    (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

3. Expected Results
    (Describe what you expected to see)

4. Actual Results
    (Describe what you actually saw)

5. Environment
    (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

“Important:
Please make sure to not load any 3rd party instruments/effect plug-ins”

…or buy a DAW which CAN manage them?

I’ve been watching the Cubasis 3 forum to see whether it’s worth me paying to move from Cubasis 2 to 3. Sorry but I’ve seen nothing here which encourages me. What concerns me about the above statement is that the MIdI/Audio sync issue I reported was using a drum instrument provided by Steinberg (not 3rd party), you know, the bug which apparently you can’t reproduce but others can. Is this fixed in Cubasis 3, how would I know?

I’m not posting here to be negative, as a customer from the Atari version I genuinely want to support Steinberg…but for how long? Listen to your customers and they will continue look after a company which has produced some great products.

I keep trying to make this app useful, but as I now know that Cubasis 3 doesn’t support AUv3 instruments or effects I’ve been trying out a workflow where I build loops in other apps that do support them, and then export as wav files and bring them into Cubasis. Turns out Cubasis doesn’t support using audio files either. Here’s a video of me trying to copy and paste sections of audio, the results of which are entirely unpredictable.

https://streamable.com/ktz1v

The first attempt, select one audio clip, copy, paste - pastes the copied audio somewhere random. It’s somewhere underneath those that are already there. This means I would then have to spend time moving each of them individually to an empty track to find where it pasted.

Second attempt, select all of them (with the annoying long press that we now have to do for no apparent reason), copy, paste - the pasted clips are offset by 1.5 bars but all are selected including the clips I copied. Again, I have to individually move a bunch of them to an empty track so that I can then select them all again and move them to where Cubasis should have put them in the first place.

So using Cubasis as a simple clip arranger isn’t possible, and using AUv3 instruments and effects isn’t possible. So unless you only ever want to use the built in piano sound Cubasis 3 is a really bad downgrade from Cubasis 2, which is quite something as Cubasis 2 had been left to rot on iOS 13.

Hi drcongo,

So using Cubasis as a simple clip arranger isn’t possible, and using AUv3 instruments and effects isn’t possible. So unless you only ever want to use the built in piano sound Cubasis 3 is a really bad downgrade from Cubasis 2, which is quite something as Cubasis 2 had been left to rot on iOS 13.

Of course, both things are possible with Cubasis 3.

So we need to nail it down what exactly fails at your end (e.g. which plug-ins create problems, when being loaded with Cubasis 3).
Please let me have your feedback if you want to work with us on this.

Thanks,
Lars