Thanks for all the ‘helpful’ advice everyone.
I’ve found a workaround, which is to force the tenor part to bass clef around the key change.
To answer some of the comments above…
Yes, I do need all the parts separate, not for printing, but because the score also needs to be used to produce ‘stems’ for each part individually for mixing down into rehearsal recordings. That does mean, however that I’m free to make the ‘parts’ as ugly as required to suit the condensing as long as the notes are correct.
I am aware that the team have been vocal about the limitations, but I have just used it to condense down an SSAATTBB + solo & piano score into a mix of S-A-T-B, and SA-TB with everything looking exactly as I wanted it. Yes, there were times when I have to use workarounds to get it looking perfect (eg deleting/moving lyrics on some staffs, and hiding a myriad ‘a2’ markings), but honestly I found it extremely good, far easier than I feared from all the warnings. I think the only compromise I had to make in the end was not having join/split arrows when the condensing changed, and having to hide part names at the start of staves. Even those I probably could have got working if I’d been prepared to spend a bit more time in Engrave mode.
This issue was the only one that actually produced incorrect (rather than aesthetically sub-optimal) output, and the only one for which I couldn’t find a workaround (until now).
I’m not sure that ‘I’d hardly notice’ is a reason to ignore it. I didn’t notice either for quite a while, until I happened to flick my eyes back to the key sig during rehearsal and got confused as to what clef I was in and started singing wrong notes. It’s amazing how something so minor can completely befuddle your brain in the moment. I do intend to publish… only to CPDL admittedly, but would be nice to have it right.
I spent a long time trying to word the request for a fix so as not to make it sound like a criticism - as you can see above, I find it extremely usable. Maybe I should have said ‘fixing this would open up vast swathes more choral music’, rather than saying that it ‘rules out vast swathes’.
I’m eagerly awaiting the updates to make things even easier, but in the meantime will continue to ignore your advice to not bother condensing vocal music - it works just fine thanks.
For anyone interested, the piece was CV Stanford’s ‘Songs of the Sea’ with SATB chorus. The only versions out there seem to be full version with TTBB chorus, and a separate SATB chorus only (no solo/accomp).