Bug Report: MIDI timing issue when using Loop Points

Ok. I just updated my iOS and downloaded Garageband 2.2. It now has midi clock out and stays in perfect sync when using loop points. My journey with Cubasis is over. It’s funny, GB costs 4,9USD and works like a charm. Cubasis costs almost 50USD and is full of bugs and the support seems to be, well, there ain’t no support. Have fun with the bugs!

Hi tuquoque,

Thanks for your message.

I’m sorry to hear that you’re unhappy with Cubasis.

The same way I’d like to let you know that we take customer support and maintenance for our Cubasis app very seriously - as you can see with the high number of free updates over the years.

In my last reply, I’ve asked you for the exact steps to reproduce the problem.
This helps us trying to reproduce the problem and giving you a feedback.

Thanks,
Lars

Hi! Thanks for replying. What exact steps do you need? Just make a drum loop track, turn it’s loop points on, sync the app with external midi device and see/hear if it stays synced. It will not. Every time the loop starts from the top, the time gab between Cubasis and external device grows. Just try it and you’ll learn.

EDIT: And if I may remind you, you’ve had the “exact steps” three years ago 2014 (read the thread from the top) and one of your staff members (Jan Hiltmann) verified the bug exists promising there will be a fix. It’s been three years, for heavens sake!

Hi,

Please refer to this topic to learn how to file a bug report:

Best,
Lars

Ok, let’s do this.

1. Summary/Title
    (Provide a short but descriptive sentence that summaries the issue or feature request)

ANSWER: Cubasis 2.2 looses sync when using loop points

1. Description
    (Provide a detailed description and list the step by step process to reproduce the issue to help the team to understand and reproduce the problem)

ANSWER:
A) Greate a new file and name it
B) Add a Cubasis internal drum loop to track 1
C) Turn on the Loop points (any measures)
D) Turn on the midi clock out
E) Choose the used midi out device and midi channel
F) Click Play
G) Record the loop to external midi gear in real time
H) Let the devices play in sync

1. Expected Results
    (Describe what you expected to see)

ANSWER: You would expect the Cubasis to stay in sync with external midi device as all the similar software’s (like Garageband) do.

1. Actual Results
    (Describe what you actually saw)

ANSWER: Cubasis looses sync. Every new round of played loop points grows the time gap. The problem exists no matter how long the time between loop points is (tested 1-8 measures)

1. Environment
    (Count the hardware and software including version numbers being used)

ANSWER:
Hardware: iPad Pro 9.7"
Operating system: Apple iOS 10.3.2
Software: Steinberg Cubasis 2.2
Midi interface: Roland Duo-Capture EX
External midi gear: TC Electronic Ditto x4

And I wan’t to stress, my gear is working. The same setup and procedure with Garageband 2.2 works perfectly, the sync is tight. Let me know if there’s something else you need, thanks!

Thanks for providing a proper bug report, tuquoque.

I will make sure to discuss the topic within the team.
As of yet, I have no information when we can provide a solution for the problem.

Best,
Lars

You’re welcome, Lars. But I can’t wait three more years and as I said, I’m happy with latest Garageband now. Just wish I could somehow get my money back for buying a product I have no use as it doesn’t work.

Since app purchases are handled exclusively by Apple, please get in touch with Apple regarding your refund request.
Hope that helps.

Best,
Lars

Thanks for the tip! I did that and will get my 55 euro back in few days. Didn’t know you can ask for refund from Apple. Please, post back to this forum when the bug is fixed. I’ll reconsider Cubasis then. Thanks!

Hey Steinberg Team,
any news on this subject??
I ran into this problem when I used cubasis for the first time. This is a major bug and should be solved.Pleeeeease.
Greetings,
Stefan M

Hi lordoid,

The issue is planned to be re-evaluated by our engineering, to check, if it can be addressed in the next Cubasis update.

Best,
Lars

C’mon :j Over three years has passed since the original poster wrote about the bug and over a year since you said to me the bug will be fixed. LOL

Give it a lonestar rating at the app store. This will not solve the issue but maybe helps others not to burn good money…

Hi. Would like to buy Cubasis 2. Is this problem finally fixed in new version?

Unfortunately no.but other that that, it’s one of the best DAW you could get on the iOS platform.

Ok, thanks for replying. I’ll keep on waiting for the fix :smile:

:joy: if I were you,I’d still purchase.its one of the best on the platform.the UI in my opinion is the best on iOS hands down.
Especially on the iPad Pro 11 inch it just looks beautiful.
Easy to navigate no multiple windows to dive in.
Straight forward app.
the loop timing issue is important yes,but there are workarounds.
I’m pretty sure the will get to the bottom of the issue.

Thanks, I’m good with GB and other apps I have. I like the Cubasis interface but I use synced looper when I’m jamming or composing. Can’t do that with Cubasis because of bug. It’s useless for me.

Hi tuquoque,

Thank you for your exemplary bug description.

Cubasis looses sync. Every new round of played loop points grows the time gap. The problem exists no matter how long the time between loop points >is (tested 1-8 measures)

That’s right, this problem is known to us and is already in our bugbase. We are working on a solution.

best
Jan

Working on a solution for 2 years and more?
This thread has been started 5!!! Yeats ago. And 2!!! Yeats ago this issue has been acknowledged by Steinberg.
So the term “working on” does not apply??