bug report) opt + shift + B doesnt work

the key for inputting lower B, opt + shift + B doesnt work on my dorico
I’m using mac

control + B works fine, as well as all other input commands.
couldnt’ find any previous report about this am I the only one experiencing this?

I remember reading about this on the forum, and I have the same problem; I think it’s something to do with the Mac operating system, but I can’t remember.

Is the note possibly preceded by a C or a similar note above?

That may be too obvious of a question (or not the solution at all), but IIRC, this has tripped up users in the past. You can force to a lower octave, but not if the note was already going to be below—you can only change the direction, you can’t force an interval greater than an octave. If you had entered a G4, for example, you couldn’t force the next note to be F3.

Dear soojinl10,
alt-shift-b is supposed to be the command to write a b an octave above what would be input by default (but only in an octave range), so it’s not about a lower note :wink: For the lower note, it’s ctrl-b. Dan is perfectly right in his message, I recommend you follow his advice in his Beginner’s guide… which is to create a fast keyboard shortcut to raise or lower a note an 8ve (like + and - in the numpad) and apply it right after entering the note.

If you enter a note, and then realise it’s in the wrong octave, then Command-alt Up/Down works, without leaving Note Entry mode.

That’s true, but I keep tripping up because I know I will want to change the octave before I actually enter the note, and I try to use Command-alt Up/Down before entering the note, just like setting the duration before note entry, which puts the preceding note in the wrong octave! :angry:

Of course, Ben. What I was suggesting is to follow Dan’s idea and create an even faster shortcut if you happen to have a numpad on your keyboard — I must confess I do use shift-alt-up/down because I got used to it :wink:

Well, Rob, I guess you’ll have to convince your brains that it’s not the right keys combination to get the result you want !

It is indeed a bug in the Qt framework that Dorico relies upon that Shift+Alt+B, which produces the “dotless i” character, cannot be assigned as a key command. It’s a real bore.