Bug: SpectraLayers One 7 - Hard PC reboot after "Unmix Vocals"

Happy to report that I fixed the issue of hard restarts while using Unmix vocals by simply disabling ‘Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology’ [Disabled]. This is found in your bios settings.

Works like a charm now and no need to increase CPU power either.
Hope that helps someone else.

2 Likes

Fixed for me too. Change of PCs PSU has fixed the error. I wished I could edit my opening posting, but it is not possible for me. Probably a moderator can help.

SL is very demanding regarding your computer’s CPU when unmixing vocals. Even more demanding than renowned benchmark / burn-in tools like Prime95 including AVX. SL was rebooting my computer while Prime95 still ran absolutely fine. Two months later, my PC showed the same behavior in Prime95 with AVX/AVX2 enabled.

I am very sorry for calling this a software bug. It isn’t. SL simply is the Steinberg product that completely maxes out your CPU and demands an absolutely stable and correctly configured system. SL7 is the perfect tool to verify this. If I buy a new computer, first thing I will do from now on: Install SL and unmix vocals from a long song. If it crashes, return it.

My apologies to Robin.

@Timo No worries, glad it works on your machine now !

definitely need the right system to enter the matrix…

Same problem here on my four windows PC. :scream:

Hi @davaakhuudson, check the thread for the solution (CPU voltage setting in the BIOS).

1 Like

Same problem here… On Windows 10 20H2

WTF

disabling ‘Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology’ didn’t work here…

What are the specs needed for Spectrallayers One?

IMHO this should just work on an otherwise great working “Cubase machine”… If the main app works, this SHOULD JUST WORK… and there should NOT be any reason to why Spectrallayers One should be the only app and/or plugin on my system that needs any kind of special BIOS treatment.

@Carvin_Man
If disabling “Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology” didn’t fix it for you, here are other solutions that users found to fix it:
Switching from custom CPU settings to Auto.
Increasing the CPU Voltage to 1.3.
Replacing the PSU by a stronger one.

Please understand it’s a hardware/system failure here under heavy computation load, not a software issue. The only way to fix it is to fix the system or hardware.

Is a single file/song within a project is considered “heavy computation” when unmixing vocal?
Where is the prerequisite for the Spectralayer One 7 mentioned?

So on my otherwise great working system (never had a crash ever) the only one plugin/app that don’t work is this one???
With this much hassle to get an app working inside Cubase it should never been included…

What’s 100% certain is that I don’t wanna “mess” with my system just to get this one plugin going… If my computer specs don’t match the prerequisite for Spectralayer One 7, then so be it. But where can I find this info?

The unmixing process is indeed the most intensive, using all SIMD acceleration from your CPU on all cores at once. Under the hood, it’s running the Tensorflow library to do the computation, and this library use every bit of acceleration available. Running AI models can be extremely intensive due to the number of calculations involved.
The prerequisite for SpectraLayers One 7 can be found here: https://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/SpectraLayers_7/help/One/_system_requirements.html

I’ve noticed on my own system, i9 9900k @ 5GHz, that my temps increase very quickly with this, it’s the same with iZotope Rx8 advanced, with Rx though there is the option to pause processing, which i use to let things cool down before restarting the process. I find i might need to do this 3 or 4 times but it works!
AFAIK i9 CPUs are designed to shut down when they get too hot as a safety mechanism to stop them being damaged.
Could we not have a pause function in a similar vein? Seems to be the simplest way around the issue.

Is any one having this problem on Mac m1 machines. I’ve tried to unmix a vocal and it crashes instantly every time. I see a lot of theory and solutions here but nothing for mac.

Any ideas?

Cubase 12, MacBook Pro m1 pro, 16gb ram

This is likely a different issue, caused by the fact you had no active layer selected in SpectraLayers before clicking Unmix (issue due to a change in Cubase ARA communication). Activate a layer first in the Layers panel.

I’ve discovered that if I open spectralayers in the new extension tab in the inspector and then un-mix vocal it will crash. If I do it the old fashion way, top menu bar , audio, extension spectralayers it works fine.

Dude… you just saved me hours of trouble. I had to disable both “Speed Step” and “Speed Shift”. Thank you for posting this!

Hi there, I have the exact same issue described above with Spectralayers 10 Pro, PC just shuts down when unmixing song… this happens in stand alone and in Cubase Pro 12. My CPU is set at its defaults, its gen 11 - 6 core i5 CPU so should work fine, works great with a full Cubase session, recently custom built PC. Any ideas for what to try I had no issues with Version 9 Pro, I did try the voltage restriction config switch under CPU in the bios so its disabled to allow more voltage if needed but still shuts dowm… really weird… please advise anayone… many thanks!

Do you have a GPU ? If so you could just switch computation to it instead of the CPU.

1 Like

Thanks its working now, I changed my CPU core setting and performance mode in the Bios and reinstalled SL 10 and its working ok now.

Also I did switch my primary GPU to my graphics card instead of onboard as I seen a system critcal warning in the events log in Windows that indicated onboard graphics had an issue at the shutdown time.