[BUG?] tied chords don't flip at once

I wonder if this is a bug or expected behaviour: tied chords don’t flip at once as the video shows:

While I understand that this might be how this feature should behave (e.g. in context with a second voice that disappears after the first chord), it is certainly quite cumbersome to get the second chord flipped.

The steps that need to be taken involve:

• (mouse) select all notes of first chord
  • untie
  • (mouse) select the second chord (one note is enough)
  • flip the stem (via keyboard)
  • (mouse) select all notes of the first chord again
  • tie the chords again

Or do I miss a certain input feature that makes this procedure easier/shorter?

Anyway, the end result is not perfectly layouted. In the screenshot the b flat is somewhat offset to the left:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-07-24 um 11.32.39

You’d be much quicker to leave everything tied, switch to engrave mode where you can grab individual noteheads and flip from there.

A change to this behaviour is a long-standing feature request, but in some situations the default behaviour is useful.

1 Like

Yes… switching mode… unbelievable I still keep forgetting that!

Thank you so much, @pianoleo !

But as for the end-result: Is this something you encounter, too? Or is it a problem only I might have? (The score was generated from a MuxicXML import.)

It’s probably avoiding the (unnecessary) Db at the bottom of the chord. Try hiding that. (And that’ll only be there because of your Preferences > MusicXML Import > Accidental visibility).

Good point! Removed the flat, but the “shift” remains.

It is actually the chord that is not perfectly placed:

What do you mean by “not perfectly placed”? If you mean that the down-stem chord is shifted slightly to the right of the up-stem B flat, then that is the correct appearance. If the down-stem chord were not shifted slightly to the right, you wouldn’t at a glance be able to tell which of the notes are in the up-stem voice and which are in the down-stem voice.

You can adjust the various default gaps Dorico uses for offsetting voices on the Voices page of Notation Options.

Hmm… in this case I do not agree. Given that all 4 notes of the previous chord are tied, it is pretty clear to which voice the b-flat belongs.
But I do see the reason for situations, where there are not tied chords involved.