[Bug] VCA Groups [Resolved]

Launch N-7.0.35

Open project from the Recent Projects list.

Create a VCA track.

On the MixConsole add some tracks to the VCA group using Alt-Shift + VCA Rack.

Everything works as expected - The VCA fader controls the tracks in the group.

Save the Project and close N7.

Re-launch N7.

Open the Project.

The VCA group no longer exists - The VCA track is still present, but there are no tracks in the group. :confused:

Do we have to re-setup all VCA groups every time a project is opened?

It works fine for me however I accidently opened a N7.035 project in N6.5 and that deleted the vca assignment. I had to re-assign.

Dean

I was trying to duplicate your findings;
If it is a new 7.035 project it comes back intact.
Howeverā€¦anything before thatā€¦you are correct. The new fader is showing up but everything is unassigned !
Iā€™m not positive if its a bugā€¦we didnā€™t have the feature before v7

Yes, the project was started in a previous version of Nuendo.

So it is a bug then.

To me losing the mapping isnā€™t a particularly big surprise. Things were so messed up before that I doubt it would have been reasonable to try to get it to import correctly. Meaning Iā€™m guessing the rewrite was pretty severe (is my guess). Doesnā€™t bother me personally actually as it didnā€™t work before anyway. Might as well just revisit templates while Iā€™m at it.

Even if you just close a project in N7 and then reopen it without relaunching N7 the VCA track assignments are lost.

Iā€™m trying to use the VCA feature while remixing a bunch of projects created in an earlier version of Nuendo, so this is a real P.I.T.A.

Every time I open one of the projects I have to set up all the VCA assignments again!

Dear, dear Steinberg, is there any chance of a Hotfix for this?

I know that in PT sometimes when projects (ā€œsessionsā€) get corrupt a solution is to open up a completely clean new project, and import everything from the older one. Itā€™s a p.i.t.a. but it often solves some problems from repeating themselves.

Perhaps you could try this. In other words rather than just opening up older Nuendo versions of projects open up a new one and import it all into the new project, and work on that moving forward.

Just a thought.

Nice idea, but it only works for Audio tracks. I can find no way to import non-audio tracks (midi, Instrument, VST outputs) from another Project.

I think this problem is something that Steinberg needs to fix.

I would have thought that when saving a Project in N7 it should be saved in an N7 compatible format, unless it is trying to save it in a format compatible with the version of Nuendo it was originally created in - that might be where it is going wrong (N6.5 had no VCA facility so perhaps the data is being lost at that point). If that is true, there should at least be an option to save a project in the format required by the version of Nuendo currently being used. Forward compatibility.

My hunch is that the re-coding was severe and a simple ā€œmappingā€ of parameters between old and new versions just didnā€™t work because of that. Quite frankly I wouldnā€™t put this fix high on my priority list to be honest. It seems it could be yet another parameter that could break and Iā€™d rather just deal with it the way it is. Then again, Iā€™m not in your situation.

Well, for me, it is a real pain to have to reconfigure the VCA groupings every time I open one of these projects.

The whole point of the [Save] option is to enable all settings to be perfectly recalled the next time a project is opened. Itā€™s a bug, it should be fixed. I spent many years programming and I canā€™t abide things that donā€™t work that can easily be fixed.

I hope that Steinberg are not so sloppy that they will ignore something like this.

As Iā€™m sure youā€™ll agree, all aspects of this famous VCA feature should, at the very least, work.

:slight_smile:

Chris,

I do confirm the exact same bug with Nuendo 7.0.35, Mac OS 10.11.3. Also, having Mac OS 10.8.5 on a separate drive, I made a try as well with this other (very stable) Mac OS: same bug.

As you do, I have to re-setup manually VCA group at every project re-open. Funny thing, 7.0.35 notes include a certain number of VCA issues solvedā€¦

Speaking of re-setting manually every time, Mix Console zoom setting is never stored within projects: to get all of my tracks view inside Mix Console, I set zoom size for this.

Using Track View, I limit to 25 tracks or groups visible inside my Mix Console. But I want to see them all at the same time (no scrolling).

Then I make a specific Mix Console configuration with a specific name, assigning it to a specific position (ie nĀ°1), then a specific Space Work with its specific name for my whole project setup.

Result: each time I open a project, Mix Console never reopen with the same zoom but always reopen with a larger zoom which hides some of my tracks.

Sorry if this is a known bug, I tried to make a Forum search but no luck (maybe Iā€™m not too good at it :confused: ). If someone has a link to it, I would be pleased to leave a message there.

Otto, there are still some problems with mix configurations and Work Spaces and somebody at Steinberg needs to sit down and test all possible variations of these features to find the bugs, but I suggest that you start a new Post/Thread to cover this as this thread is about VCA Faders. Your issues will become lost, overlooked or ignored if you change the original subject of a thread.

Good luck.

Bump!

I read somewhere the update is around the corner, but they found another issue they needed to resolve before release delaying release a week or so. Didnā€™t Timo write that some where?

Yes he did. The update was about to show up this week, but is delayed 7-10 days. Itā€™s supposed to include VCA improvements, which I will believe when I finally see them.

Iā€™ve been in touch with Timo about this specific issue (see OP). They can rep!icate it and are looking at it right now.

I hope the fix makes it into the imminent 7.0.40 update along with the other promised VCA fixes.

A fix for this did not make it into 7.0.40 but it is scheduled to be fixed in the next update which is due at the end of June (allegedly).

Otto, there are still some problems with mix configurations and Work Spaces and somebody at Steinberg needs to sit down and test all possible variations of these features to find the bugs, but I suggest that you start a new Post/Thread to cover this as this thread is about VCA Faders. Your issues will become lost, overlooked or ignored if you change the original subject of a thread.

Good luck.

I agree with you. Actually I donā€™t like it myself when off topic comments make forum topics derailed.

So back on topic, I am very happy with 7.1 which finally resolves my VCA issue.

Yes, it is fixed in N7.1

Hallelujah!