Building a Custom Staff to show synth preset positions

I’m working on a piece for synthesizers and I need to show the relative position of various encoders that the players are controlling. What I’ve done in the past is to create a 2-line staff (basically a 5 line staff with the middle three removed) which represents the relative position of the encoder knob. Any way to create a staff like this in dorico? I can’t seem to figure out how best to do it using the percussion kit set up.

Thanks!
Dan
some examples of what I’m describing:

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.54.34

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 12.55.17

You could try creating a system with such a staff in another program and importing it as XML into Dorico. That might work.;

I’m not sure that would work. Unless I haven’t had good XML imports in the past when I’ve tried to move scores with custom staves over dorico simply creates five line staves.

You could certainly create a two-line percussion grid with a wide separation between the two lines, but of course it will be an unpitched staff, so that comes with limitations in where the notes themselves can be positioned, but perhaps it will be close enough for the kinds of annotations you want to make?

1 Like

Hi Daniel, that’s really useful to know. That’s how I’ve gone ahead, and am manually drawing the different moves in using the (extremely useful) lines toolkit. Am I right in thinking that at the moment there isn’t the option for “relative” notehead position with unpitched staves in Dorico? so if I wanted to use noteheads I wouldn’t be able to position them anywhere but on the staff lines?

That’s right. When you use single-line staves for unpitched instruments you can position noteheads either on the line or in the space immediately above or below, but when you’re using a grid, the noteheads can only be positioned directly on the lines.