Buying a «box fresh» copy of Cubase 11

Hi!

I running Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2017 iMac. I’m afraid to upgrade it to Big Sur or Monterey, due to slowdowns and general negative reviews from other users.

There is a couple of Norwegian retailers that’s got the boxed version of Cubase 11 in stock + the USB lisencer. And it reads that by activating the software, it will be automatically updated to the latest version.

So the question is, will i get functional versions of both Cubase 11 and 12 or just 11? I can’t understand why Cubase 12 is not supported by a OS from 2018-2019?

1 Like

Also, on the USB key that comes with a retail box you get a a 25 actual working hours license for all products Steinberg makes. which use the old system.

Not supported doesn’t necessarily mean it doesn’t work. But it’s likely that the sequencer uses features that are in the newer OS and not in the older. (Though there might be some fallback functionality)

I’m not using Cubendo on a Mac these days, so I can’t check. Maybe a Mac user will chime in.

For mac you will need a metal GPU to run Cubase 12. People is saying that works under Catalina (but with a metal GPU, don’t know if works with a patched unsupported machine running openGL). If your machine uses metal (I think it does), you are in a better position.

I can tell that at least Cubase Pro 11 works on my Mojave (and in a dosdude pacthed macbook pro 2011 machine, without metal GPU).

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, guys!

I will def buying the 11 Pro version. So i can save 12 for later…

Have fun with your new Mac then! (when that time comes)

I think pretty much any Mac released after 2012 or so would have Metal supported graphics cards. Its the 2010-2012 Mac Pros you needed to upgrade to limp along with Mojave (and later if you like hacking it). Just about everything else after those should be using it.

Well…Here is the reply i was getting from Steinberg. I’m a bit comfused…

Michael Lange (Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH)

Apr 10, 2022, 12:14 GMT+2

Dear Amund,

Thank you for contacting the Steinberg Support Team!
When purchasing an older boxed version of Cubase 11, you will be granted a license for Cubase 12 upon redemption of the Download Access Code only. This is an automated process as we only provide current versions of our products.
Please note, that the USB-eLicenser is not needed any more. As technology moves on, some OS versions get outdated by time and features and functions stop working on older macOS Systems.
However, macOS 11 Big Sur and 12 Monterey are compatible with your iMac 2017 and so is Cubase 12.

Kind Regards,
Michael Lange
Steinberg Support

Are you 100% sure about your answer, Steve?

I have ordered a boxed version of Cubase Pro 11 which included the eLicenser, but i’m gonna cancel the order if i’m not gonna get the Pro 11 version. There is no way i’m gonna brickwall my 2017 iMac (bought new in 2019) by update the OS and just get a unstable version of Pro 12, with new features i don’t need. Hope you can answer this today. I need to e-mail the retailer today, since the order is beeing shipped tomorrow.

All the best, Amund

Since your question to them was not included in your post, verbatim, I don’t have any context to understand the tech support person’s message.

All I can tell you is to read the licensing faq, and understand what you’re buying. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Here is the reply:

Michael Lange (Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH)

Apr 10, 2022, 12:14 GMT+2

Dear Amund,

Thank you for contacting the Steinberg Support Team!
When purchasing an older boxed version of Cubase 11, you will be granted a license for Cubase 12 upon redemption of the Download Access Code only. This is an automated process as we only provide current versions of our products.
Please note, that the USB-eLicenser is not needed any more. As technology moves on, some OS versions get outdated by time and features and functions stop working on older macOS Systems.
However, macOS 11 Big Sur and 12 Monterey are compatible with your iMac 2017 and so is Cubase 12.

Kind Regards,
Michael Lange
Steinberg Support

Sorry, my bad! Here is my question:

Amund Sæter

Apr 8, 2022, 19:42 GMT+2

Hi! I running Mojave 10.14.6 on a 2017 iMac. I’m afraid to upgrade it to Big Sur or Monterey, due to slowdowns and general negative reviews from other users. There is a couple of Norwegian retailers that’s got the boxed version of Cubase 11 in stock + the USB lisencer. And it reads that by activating the software, it will be automatically updated to the latest version. So the question is, will i get functional versions of both Cubase 11 and 12 or just 11? I can’t understand why Cubase 12 is not supported by a OS from 2018-2019?

My question to you, Steve is how are you sure that i get both 11 and 12? Since the Steinberg Support clearly stated i only get 12…I HOPE that i get 11 license on the eLicenser which i can use along with a version of 12 which uses the new system. But i don’t know, since i get different replys. Sorry for all the questions.

Best, Amund

You should get a Cubase 11 license (and in the process of activation you should get a new system cubase 12 and keep your cubase 11 as “non upgradeable” in the old system).

So, you will have a license for the new system (without a dongle) and a “frozed” (but funcional) license for the old system (with a dongle).

I don’t think they are saying that you not gonna get a cubase 11 license.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply! I’ve ordered a boxed version of 11 from a retailer and the USB eLicenser is included. I hope this will work out! :pray:

Hi Guys!
As there still seems to be a need for clarification, please let me explain it (officially):
We have released Cubase Pro 12 on March, 2nd, 2022 and are now selling only Cubase 12. If you purchase a boxed version of Cubase 11 at a dealer now, you will receive a box including a USB-eLicenser and a Download Access Code. When you enter the Download Access Code in the Steinberg Download Assistant, our system will return a license for Cubase 12 only. As we do not sell Cubase 11 anymore, you will not receive a license for Cubase 11.

And to make it clear: the grace period for Cubase 12 only applies for Cubase versions, purchased before the day, Cubase 12 was launched, so there is no grace period for products purchased after March, 2nd, 2022.

I have a MacBook Pro 2015 myself, and I am running Cubase Pro 12 without any issues. I can only advise you to update your macOS to Big Sur at least.

1 Like

@MichiLange do you mean activated? I ask because that’s how it was previously.

So you are saying if someone purchased a boxed version of Cubase 11, they would not get 11, the product they paid for?

This topic unlisted while info is verified.

Here’s the reply I received from @MichiLange when I asked if they could provide clarification