Buying Cubase license upgrades - Steinberg Fail?

Something which no-one else seems to have noticed, which may or not be an issue but…

If steinberg were to introduce a way of authorisation that didn’t require ye olde physical box, you can bet your life that someone will devote many hours to cracking that process for the ‘lulz’ or kudos amongst hacking community. This then leads to increasingly elaborate means on the part of steinberg to try and make it uncrackable, which costs money, not to mention the decreased sales due to piracy that it would no doubt lead to. This then leads to the price being inflated further to cover losses, so really, we the paying consumer would lose out.

Maybe I’m talking out of my hat? :slight_smile: Seems to me to be a more logical explanation than contractual obligations though.

I agree. I think the full version should still be available boxed only.
But the upgrades should be sold as downloads for MySteinberg Users.

br

Something which no-one else seems to have noticed, which may or not be an issue but…

I am not a hacker, but don’t think thats a problem because you need still the serial and still your dongle witch is at least once syncronized with steinberg server.
At the moment you are also able to download the trial versions, and if you perhaps realized the trial is same as the original one just limeted by time through the serial.
So what would be the difference`? to me none.

Greetz Bassbase

Something else to consider is support - I sell and support Steinberg products here in South Africa - Of course I cannot speak for the rest of the world.

Any customers who purchase from my company, are entitled to free support while they are using Cubase (Within reason). If Cubase were sold as a download, I would not be in a position to do that anymore.

The users here on the Cubase Forum are only a small percentage of Cubase Users - most of my customers are hobbyists, and require lots of hand-holding! I far prefer to be able to deal with them directly and to build good relationships this way.

From what I can gather, support in Europe and the US seems to be not as it should. Maybe that is what really needs to be corrected. I don’t think Steinberg Germany are in a postion to support all customers who purchase Cubase downloads, which is what they would be obliged to do if that were the case.

The would have to do business the way Avid does, and I don’t think anyone want that.
Buzz

At the moment you are also able to download the trial versions, and if you perhaps realized the trial is same as the original one just limited by time through the serial.
So what would be the difference`? to me none.
u r right about this …
i would speak about programming if i knew a little more than the basics , well , any way about support , well there r 3 party books writen C 6 Power , C Power 6 n more Basics to advanced…, Tutor DVD/s , tons of Forums like these , n i think Cubase , or for that matter any DAW , will be a life time learning Process , as software develops , Integrates , loads of new features ,new break thru, New protocols advances in hardware , right now Thunderbolt replacing USB 3 … not a reasonable argument … my point I am sure if as a distributor if your reseller rates are Just n fair … u will survive…
The A 4 size paper issue is something to consider , yes i would print it , n would like to have it in A4 size… S

I live in Brazil, and here is not easy to buy Cubase (or Nuendo, Wavelab, The Grand and other Steinberg stuff). You really need want to buy! :laughing:

I have 2 friends who wanted, but failed to buy Cubase and choosed Studio One (they were Reaper former users). I insisted, and managed directly with Steinberg Brazil (and they are great!), after some time I was able get my copy, but a “regular” costumer doesn’t want to wait or try "so hard " just to buy a product. You can buy online Presonus Studio one, Logic, Reaper and others in 5 minutes… :blush:

+1

Case in point, I have a full hardcopy of Cubase 6.5 which means I have all the install media etc. I just want to buy a second Cubase 6.5 license code. I don’t want to have to order and ship an entire 2nd boxed copy! It’s wasteful - I don’t need it, and it means paying for shipping, duty, and waiting for it to arrive.