[CAN-12379] Cubase 9.5 not showing recording waveforms

Did anyone get an answer/solution to this to this yet? Happening on one of my systems (Win 10). I can’t even see the waveform in editing. It#s recording and can see hit points but nothing else. Yes, all read and write permitted and the Peak files are being created. Yes, have zoomed in.

I have a support ticket in – should hear back next week if they have a fix. I’ll post if it’s useful.

I know about the “extra” zoom slider (the one that expands the amplitude of the waveform) and that has zero effect. It seems to be something in the .cpr (or companion) files – as others have noted, files recorded in 9.0 show normally in 9.5. Files recorded in 9.5 that are then opened in 9.0, however, exhibit the same behavior as they do in 9.5, i.e., no waveform display until zoomed in to approximately 2.5 seconds of display across the screen, when the waveform suddenly appears.

It’s not a “do not show waveforms” error, it’s showing a waveform, not a blank track – it’s just a waveform with an amplitude of zero all the way across until zoomed in to that 2.5 second mark – obviously nearly useless for most edits.

Thanks trainermb, that sounds like exactly the same as what I’m seeing.
As you say if you zoom in enough on the horizontal axis the waveform suddenly appears. All waveforms recorded in 9 show just fine.

Oh wait the last recording I did I was using C9 not C9.5 ( note to self, replace Cubase icon on desktop)
Will check tomorrow if I can reproduce this issue, already in bed, good night.

Easily done…I thought it was happening in version 9 too until I realised I’d launched 9.5 again by mistake!

Thanks, would be appreciated though I can’t believe it’s affecting all Windows 10 machines or there would have been more noise about it on here. I’m not seeing it on my Win 7 PC…sadly that’s not the one I use for most recording.

I’m wondering if it’s video card/driver specific and in some way connected to the GUI improvements they brought in with 9.5?

Hi
In widows 7 , i have the same issue .

Hi

I’m running 9.5 on a Mac OS 10.12.6 and have the same problem. If I delete the Images folder and re-open the project the waveforms do appear - but the tracks are empty and I cannot see/edit using the Sample Editor.

I’ll revert to 9.0 until this has been fixed.

OK, so not just a windows 10 issue (though my W7 machine is fine). I’d guess at video cards or drivers not liking something in the new program…my machine showing this issue has an NVIDIA video card, FWIW.

Working here, no issues.
Strange.

Thanks for checking and confirming, peakae (and glad to hear it’s OK for you).

Hope someone from Steinberg can come up with something…and I’m willing to try anything else anyone else suggests too.

Pianarchist,
What version number of Windows 10 are you on?
Have you updated your nvidia drivers from nvidia?
Latest GeForce driver package is at Download The Latest Official GeForce Drivers

Windows 10 version 1703. OS build 15063.726

Thanks, yes just rechecked using both NVIDIA site and Windows update, both reckon I’ve got the latest drivers (a few weeks old). Sometimes I wonder if older drivers might be better…

Thanks for the interest and suggestions.

Not ideal but at least something…if I go to Preferences-Record-Audio and un-tick “Record Audio images during Record” then at least after recording the Waveform images do show up…still not ideal but better. And really bizarre!

Yes!^^^^^ Just like “Winter Rat” says!

I know no one wants to hear this, but you can save yourself a multitude of gremlins by just letting your Cubase Update build its folder from scratch during the first “Start” of the update after installation!

Let me be clear… I do not have this issue! I can see my waveforms while being recorded, and they are still there after recording is done… without having to make any adjustments to my waveform zoom level!

The procedure I use when updating to a new version of Cubase, is to first navigate to, as “Winter Rat” says to C:\Users<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\ for Windows 7 users.

-Select all of the previous Cubase “Version Folders” and drag them to your “Desktop”!

-Do this before you start your new version of Cubase for the first time.

-This way Cubase will build, or rebuild a new version folder from scratch, without trying to grab settings from a previous version.

-After Cubase has built the new “Version Folder”, you can move all of the previous “Version Folders” back to their original location.

-Now all of your previous versions of Cubase will reside comfortably together without conflict.

I would suggest you all that are having the issue to just try this procedure, and then report back to let others know that this is indeed the solution, as so not to have Steinberg, as well as yourselves chasing your tails!

Just try it!
Al

ps. Seems like we have to say this after every update… might be good to post this info on the download page… or…
Just sayin!
:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks planarchist - your workaround does indeed work - even if it is a bizarre solution.

I can confirm the problem, on win10. waveforms are not shown during or after recording. only if I resave the clip, ie. with “Replace Events…”.

planarchists suggestions helps, though it doesn’t fix the problem while recording, unsurprisingly.

Well, it’s a bit better, glad it’s of some use to you. Hopefully it might also help Steinberg find where the issue lies…

Thanks MoPro for the suggestion which I’d already made (though not as clearly as you as I’d previously forgotten to move all the old Cubase folders too). I’ve just been through the exact steps above and it doesn’t solve the problem I’m afraid. Still not seeing any waveforms on newly recorded material. Any comments from Steinberg or elsewhere still most welcome…as are comments from anyone else seeing this issue. I see there are several now!

This affects me (in Windows 7) as well. I can confirm the workaround Prefs >> Record >> Aduio
disabling Create Audio Images During Record
works. Also When I zoom in Horizontally the events become visible. I bet it’s some graphic acceleration code - I have a nvidia Geforce GTX 960.

Thanks for the Graphics details RealRaven2000, mine’s a GTX760…wonder if all of us with the issue are on these cards? I don’t see the issue on my other system with ATI graphics. On the tower hand I think there was someone with a GTX card not seeing the issue…but yes, it looks rather like some graphics acceleration code as you say.