[CAN-13042] Multi out instrument tracks still broken after disabling PLEASE RESPOND STEINBERG

I assume not many people bother using those?
although its kinda strange. I want to have all my mics or instruments laid out separately at all times
but I suppose many professionals do use it like this, big composers and the likes (although they probably have enough DSP with slaves and VEpro so they are not using disabled/transferred tracks inside Cubase)
But possibly the problem is absent in MacOS

Iā€™ve just found a whole new problem with this. Iā€™d muted a Superior Drummer track to export a stem. To be embarrassment, a clip later down the timeline played on this muted track. When I expanded out to look at what was going on, I found none of the individual outs muted, just the parent tack. The first clip didnā€™t play, however the 2nd did. Why? Who knows. Further muting that individual out muted both clips.

So due warning - multi out instrument tracks may be more than just the visual scrambling and duplicated outs, it may be screwing up other stuff under the hood too. What a mess.

Iā€™ve experienced the same thing you are describing

Sometimes there are complete out of place tracks being created
sometimes other multiout instruments get mixed in to a random track outs
and when you delete those unwanted tracks the project crashes.
also, new to 9.5
whenever I add a few multiout tracks into a project, I got spikes and weird playback skips. never experienced that in 8.5
overall performance in the projects with those multiout tracks became a lot worse.
I can barely run 5 instances, which is odd

Its a headache.
I just threw a 110$ on the upgrade and it got way worse than it was in 8.5
Is there a way to make them fix this somehow? Calling them everyday etc?
Unsatisfied is a very light word to describe it.
and it drags and drags for years

its very easy to reproduce though. Maybe one of us should make a video?
At the very least we need a workaround or a hotfix that partially solves it for the time being
just to be able to work

Anything and everything really. Iā€™ve spent some time with them in support, got it logged but nothing else other than that. I understand ringing tends to be more fruitful than online support, so if anyone did that it canā€™t hurt - would be great to report back here too.

Have you tried hosting those tracks inside vepro?
Thats the only solution I can think of but its a hassle and requers an additional purchase

one of my projects wonā€™t load before I disable those multiout tracks while its inactive, then load it up and activate them manually again
what a nice new workflow, steinberg.
never happened in 8.5

To get it in perspective, AFAIK all these problems only happen when a track has been disabled and re-enabled. Cubase can host a VST, itā€™s only that this additional functionality breaks stuff.

(Will stand corrected if anyone has experience of these buys on tracks that have never been disabled).

thats correct. only disabled tracks or imported tracks
I donā€™t understand why they cannot be recalled properly.
because if you open the project where the tracks were created or never disabled, it works fine.

right now I do the following
1.import/enable the track. all messed up
2.duplicate the track and switch off multiouts on the new one
3.switch them on again
4.copy/paste all the plugin settings and routing/levels from the messed up one
5.delete the messed up track

I guess if they could implement this crooked approach under the hood as a temprorary fix, that would be nice

PS The main thing I completely fail to understand is why the hell if I duplicate the healthy multiout track inside the project, its duplicated without any issues!
it seems like it could be fixed in half an hour.
Iā€™d really appreciate an official comment though. they are not even returning emails.

"Thanks for contacting the Steinberg Technical Support.
We are sorry for the delay, we are facing an unusual amount of requests.

Please note that the issue will be addressed in the next Cubase Update.

Regards,

Eric Chabane
Technical Support Representative"

Iā€™ll just leave it here
Hopefully it happens sooner than C10 in december.

WHOAAAA!

Sooner rather than later would be wonderful, but soooooo good to hear theyā€™ve got a fix. Thanks for posting Kavinsky.

I hope it wasnt just to brush me off haha
They also said they canā€™t give a rough timeframe for the update release.
Lets wait for the next 9.5.xx and see, fingers crossed

Iā€™ll be watching - I have bought an update from 9.0 to the next version that I havenā€™t activated. Was planning to wait til 10 (or longer if there had been no improvements here nor to Track Presets), but if 9.5 gets fixed I might just jump in earlier.

Someone elsewhere reckoned its been 3 years waiting to fix thisā€¦

oh looks like theyā€™re going to push the update all the way up to december and release it with v10.

Whatā€™s that based on Kavinsky? Suits me ok (so long as its finally fixed!), but just curious if you have additional info.

Hey Guy
Just an assumption Iā€™m afraid, I checked the update history for the previous couple of versions and its always been like that
they release the next version and do the major update to the previous one to close it off.

But yes, as long as its fixed, Iā€™m fine with waiting.
Not 3 years more though

No mention of a fix I can see in 9.5.40 - Iā€™m still on 9.0.x can someone with the update confirm?

I didnā€™t see it mentioned either - that fit this problem.

I updated yesterday and will see if I get a chance to look at this today. Though my issues getting seriously twisted order of outs and weird error messages - is not related to disabled tracks, but guess itā€™s part of the same problem. Mine seemed to be related to picking random tracks including SD2 from a project and save as archive that got all twisted if used even in a blank project later. If I did the same thing from a minimum project where tracks were in order - it worked fine as workaround inserting into any project.

• Iā€™ll be backā€¦

YES!!!
on the first try in a blank project importing tracks works!
I know its not 100% yet, but it definitely behaves differently - it loads the tracks a lot longer now (which Iā€™m completely fine with as long as it works)
and you can actually see how they load one by one. that wasnt the case before

so far Iā€™ve imported around 15 tracks and they are all looking good, which never happened before, so Iā€™m pretty much sure they fixed it
I tried disabling/reenabling those and it worked aswell

Iā€™ll report back after I try and import some tracks into my super heavy project, but so far so good!
Will let you know

EDIT - I hate to say it but in a busy project it works like crap - same usual mess as always.
goddamnit

I will try to make a clean 9.5.40 project to really test it out. Maybe the old projects still pick up those old settings who knows

but it looks like they didnā€™t do jacksh!t to fix it.
Its not in the update logs either.

Thanks hugely for the reports, kavinsky. Itā€™s entirely possible that a fix only applies to newly made archives or tracks. Iā€™ve been holding off making anything but essential changes for a while for this reason, it could be a case of starting from scratch. But obviously weā€™d need to know it would then be 100% rugged, not just wasting a phenomenal amount of time and effort.

It is still odd that Steinberg havenā€™t published any change in status for this problem, when they said it would be fixed in the next update and behaviour does seem to have changed.