[CAN-27408] Cubase 10.5 completely slow on Mac Mojave

I was an hour away from upgrading from 10 pro to 10.5 when I googled and found this thread. Thanks for saving me countless lost hours of productivity. My macbook is a late 2012 i7 on Mojave, I suppose I should hold off upgrading Cubase again till I get a new computer, right? Hopefully a couple of years later because this computer has been absolutely great for so long. I went from 7 to 10 pro last year because 7 just stopped working properly one day.

Next step will be a Arm mac-book then. That will cubase 12 i guess. We will probably be able to use 11.5 on arm, but I dont expect it to be useful. All the rest need to be updated too and that will take some time to polish it to production use quality.

Same problem here . . . very poor performance with 10.5.xx
I hope we get a fix soon. after 15 lovely years of using cubase and teaching and introducing it to all my class and friends and colleagues, I don’t want to leave it for another daw

It’s been 3 months since the last maintenance update. I’m hoping for an update fairly soon.

My system hasn’t been too bad as long as I keep ASIO Guard on high and I avoid using Massive X.

In saying that, I get random crashes while loading large projects and sometimes plugins don’t load correctly. Only happens randomly.

For example, sometimes when loading a project that uses SoundToys Panman, Panman only uses the left channel in a stereo track. So I have to unload Panman and re-load it and it fixes itself. It’s almost like it thinks it’s a mono track.

I’m getting random pops and clicks on playback/ recording or even when stopped, even with only one track and no VSTs (I do have 20 or so audio tracks in my template for all my synths etc, but they’re all empty). Wondering if it’s the same issue as in this thread?

The audio performance red overload ‘lights’ both light up but the average load and real time peak indicators stay below 25%. It shouldn’t be a buffer size issue (because I get it when stopped and because the load is so low) but increasing the buffer does seem to reduce the rate it occurs (but it still occurs). Anything below 512 is unusable (which is crazy given the system it’s running on). Fiddled for hours with all the other settings but it’s only really buffer size and ASIO guard settings that seem to make much difference. Clock setting all look ok. Even tried replacing the thunderbolt cable to the Quantums.

I’m on an iMac Pro (3GHz 10 core, 128 Gb RAM) running Catalina 10.15.6 and Cubase Pro 10.5.20 with 3x Presonus Quantums.

Appreciate any suggestions? Thanks.

Hi,

Could you try to increase your Audio Device Buffer Size, please?

Hi Martin

If I increase to 1024 samples I still get these pops every minute or so, plus latency is 21ms in/out. The pops go away at 2048 samples, but latency is up to 43ms of course. This is with ASIO guard on and set to “high”.

I would expect to be able to run below 512 samples comfortably…?

Thanks.

Update: Fixed this! In case useful to anyone else in future, it was the configuration of the “aggregate audio device” on the Mac that was the problem. I have 3 quantums chained together and at some point I’d added an iShowU audio capture app to allow me to capture desktop audio into Cubase easily. That had unchecked the “Drift correction” box against the 2 slave quantums. Checking those boxes again has fixed it - back to a 32 samples buffer!

Hello! My name is nhacaiw88 I have come across situations like this. My approach is to re-update that 10.5 again and I have succeeded my machine is working as usual. If you don’t, chances are your machine is old and not compatible, and wishes you success.