[CAN-6382]Mac users with GUI/graphics issue.

Still laggy on my end. I gave up and switch back to logic x, which is buttery smooth. Very sad that this lag has been going on for years with no fix.

Same here - the lag persists in 9.03. I’ve been learning that this is a very big job to fix and it’s possible we’ll need to wait until 9.5. Total bummer.

No way I’m paying them to fix this problem. I already paid twice. No more

I have reported this issue for some time now and don’t understand why it’s not being addressed at this point. It seems many on this forum have noticed similar issues for some time now. When using Cubase 8 or 9 on the Mac OSX Mavericks (10.11.x) or Sierra (10.12.x), there is an incredible lag when working with Cubase whether it be selecting tracks, audio clips, resizing, zooming etc. I can confirm that this issue does not exist (or at least no where as bad) in Yosemite (10.10.x) and the same versions of Cubase. I have done extensive testing on multiple Mac computers (desktops & notebook) with various displays and hard drives (SSD & mechanical) and have been able to reproduce the same results every single time. Cubase 9.0.3 unbder the latest version of Sierra (10.12.6) has still not corrected this issue. Why? I had been told about a year ago that the development team in Germany was looking into the issue. Except, Mavericks and Sierra have been out for quite some time now, and soon to be replaced again. It shouldn’t take this long to solve such a problematic issue as this, especially when it effects the user working with the program. At some point soon, I will be forced to update the system and then have to make a choice if this is not corrected by then. I’ve been a long time Cubase user (along with many other apps on the market) and still prefer it’s workflow and options compare to the competitors, however, tings like this seriously need to be addressed. And I will repeat, this is an issue with Cubase under any Mac OS after Yosemite. So the issue did not always exist. And it’s reproducible on most Mac computers, especially the larger the project you’re working on. What’s worse is that I don’t believe Cubase 9 even officially supports Yosemite any longer (which it works much better on). I don’t really see how it could have been tested on the latest Mac OSX systems that it claims to support.

What is Steinberg doing. Driving away the Mac users ?
I am forced to use Reaper.

I would honestly love an answer to this as well. It is sincerely starting to seem intentional. I mean there seems to be no end in sight with all the GUI issues. Steinberg is asking an awful lot if they are expecting their Mac user base to stick around. They are also asking a lot if they expect us to even believe they are working on the issues at all. I’ve been experiencing unusable GUI lag literally for years now. There’s no good excuse for this.

I can attest the C9 runs fine on Yosemite as I was using it without issue up until 2 weeks ago when I upgraded to Sierra. Not being officially supported just means that Steinberg didn’t test C9 on systems running Yosemite but rather the 2 most recent OSX versions. Now, I’m running fine on Sierra without any GUI flaws whatsoever. I sympathize with those having issues but can share that the issue is a priority for Steinberg despite what some on this thread may feel. And, with upgrade season just around the corner, a solution should be imminent.

I would absolutely love to see some video of your “flawless GUI” running C9. And as far as “upgrade season” goes, you think it’s fair for Cubase users to pay for a fix for issues that have been lingering for years now? I think not. They just released an update that fixed nothing in the GUI dept. for Mac users.

To be clear, I’m not gloating or trying to incite a flame war but instead just sharing my experience with C9/Sierra. I’ve remained current with this post only because I had waited on the sidelines with Yosemite until the issue was resolved before venturing an OSX upgrade. However, by chance, another Steiny issue forced me to upgrade or rollback my system so I installed Sierra (with a patch-over installation which I’ve never done) and C9 ran the same visually and otherwise. That means no stuttering playback cursor with mouse movements, no delays when copying or dragging parts and no issues with G/H zooming or timeline drag-zooming. Metering is true as are waveform screen draws. Did I miss something? If so, let me know and I’ll try it out.

I’m absolutely not trying to start a war at all. I sincerely would love to see some video of your GUI running smooth in Sierra.

Hi all,

We are constantly working on the improvement of the performance and the stability of our software. Due to the complexity of today’s system configurations and the diversity of 3rd party hardware like audio interfaces, displays or graphic cards this task is getting more challenging every day.

Please help us to find out more about your setup in order to improve the performance and stability of Cubase and Nuendo for all of our users.

Start Survey

Thank you for your time!

Cheers from Hamburg,
Matthias