[CAN-6382]Mac users with GUI/graphics issue.

I’ve been watching from the sidelines and working without issue on my AMD-trashcan Mac 6,2 on OSX 10.10 when another Steinberg flub forced me into upgrading to OSX 10.12 - thanks again Lars! About a week in, I’m working without any GUI issues within the main screen or editors and among new and archived projects. Of course now that I’ve committed this to the thread all hell might break loose but, until then, damn the torpedoes!

I’ve tried with that same setup you just mentioned and the meters lag. Bear in mind that this is in comparison to Logic and it’s super snappy GUI and meter responsiveness. I’m beginning to wonder if we aren’t seeing more reports of GUI sluggishness simply because people have no other frame of reference. If a person assumed the meter lag that I see and the overall GUI sluggishness was normal, they wouldn’t know any better. Just a thought, but I think a lot of this is going on. I’ve used C7, C8, C9, Logic (all versions), Pro Tools, Ableton Live, and Studio One, and I can honestly say that there is a serious and real problem here with Cubase and it’s GUI.

I’m no neophyte but I’ll bite - post a few clips of what you’re referring to perhaps with a “how it’s supposed to be” clip and what you’re experiencing with Cubase. So far from what has been posted on this thread by others, I am not experiencing any of these symptoms.

I wasn’t at all trying to be insulting, I promise. I was merely voicing one hypothesis I have as to why we aren’t seeing more people on here screaming. Of course I realize many people won’t say anything at all. I have no way of sharing a video from my old trash can MP as I’m now using a 2017 top of the line iMac. I would be happy however to shoot some video of C9 and the GUI sluggishness with that machine compared to say Logic. The sluggish meters are what really drive me nuts in C9. That and when the playhead cursor starts to stutter and lag. It’s a serious eyesore. You don’t see any of this in Logic or Pro Tools for that matter. Smooth as butter. Oh and btw, I also get the same GUI madness with the new 2017 top of the line MBP too.

No offense taken and I’m not discounting your theory on its surface but, given the nature of the GUI issues detailed here and elsewhere, I would think even a casual user would become annoyed and report accordingly. As stated, I was experiencing none of the reported symptoms on OSX 10.10 yet kept apprised on the issue from this thread in hopes of upgrading to 10.12 at some point. And, without the other set of circumstances introduced by Steinberg with the IC PRO app, I’d still be waiting.

Of course the other side to your theory is that there are plenty of Mac users on C9 who aren’t experiencing the GUI issues and, at least to some measurable extent, I’m now one of them.

I think we need a little comparative context here.

Anyone with an iPad - download the Cubasis LE demo and run it. It’s super fluid and responsive just like most IOS apps are - and it’s how Cubase on a Mac (and PC djw…) should be.

Now anyone with a Mac that says they’re not having any GUI issues - can you honestly say its as good as the IOS version?

On my Mac its nowhere near this, and it should be, as this is how Logic works.

Two completely different apps - how would a comparison benefit anything? Apples and oranges :slight_smile:

But it isn’t - and that’s the point.

There will be large chunks of code that are identical - it’s a cross platform code base.

And that begs the question, Is Cubasis IOS using Metal to do its graphics rendering?

If it is, can it be transferred over to the Mac version?

Excellent points!

Sorry to be another dissenter but I think your comparison is specious at best. Tactility and aesthetics alone prevent a real shootout since the experience is completely different. However, I have an iPad Pro running Cubasis 2.2 and I often transfer the projects into Cubase Pro and have never experienced the graphical-performance letdown your describe - nor have any other users or clients using our setup. Of course you have to do a bit of meter tweaking to get things in a similar ballpark but, aside from the iPad graphically looking sharper due to its size, etc. performance is generally the same.

For me one of the big questions is why many Mac users with stock Macs deal with this issue. Macs are not - for better or for worse - as variable/deeply tweakable as Windows machines…in fact, they mostly aren’t variable at all internally unless you do your own tinkering with them, which is almost impossible in many of their all-in-one units.

I haven’t touched a thing on my Mac Pro since I bought it, and haven’t done any weird system tweaks or anything. It’s totally streamlined for music only, and there are no non-music related apps aside from the stock stuff (Safari, etc.). So, if on the very same computer I can run Pro Tools, Studio One, or Reaper and have no GUI issues like I have on Cubase, I don’t know what I can possibly do unless Steinberg can find out and tell me…there are no variables aside from external devices (in my case there’s an external TB SSD drive chassis, a TB Apollo 8, and a USB MIDI into a keyboard, plus the USB eLicenser key and iLok key… And again: All of these other DAWs work perfectly GUI-wise with all of the same things attached and all of the exact same plugins from the same plug-in folder (aside from Pro Tools, which of course doesn’t use VST) – that’s truly not an exaggeration!

I don’t know what they have to do to get it fixed, but I wonder if someone could spy on AVID’s code to see how they very specifically fixed a similar GUI situation for Pro Tools (I experienced the problem as a PT user, as did many but not all - just like here with Cubase…but they fixed it fairly quickly when it happened).

I too had the Pro Tools GUI issues that were very rapidly fixed. Why can’t Steinberg do the same thing?

Yes, for me it’s as good as the IOS version, believe it or not (which you probably won’t). It looks wonderful on my MacBook Retina (2013), as well as on my older LED monitors. Looks just as good as Logic Pro. No lag whatsoever. So yes, there ARE users without issues.

Color me envious – I wish I were in your boat on both of my Macs. I personally think it would be valuable for those who aren’t experiencing the issue to also report their complete system specs per Fabio’s request in the first post on this thread, so any discrepancies in setup, etc., can be logged.

The count for me at this point is six totally different Macs that I’ve seen the issue on (my trashcan Mac Pro and my 2015 MacBook Pro, a trashcan Mac Pro at Guitar Center, two composing friends one of whom is on a trashcan Mac Pro and the other on a 2016 iMac, and installing it on my girlfriend’s 2017 MacBook Pro). The one Mac out of seven I’ve tried that didn’t have the issue was another composing friend’s 2011 Mac Pro.

If it is not bigger than 1080p, then it’s already a graphic performance! Are you in 1080p resolution?

Thread cleaned. Please keep it on topic and professional. Don’t reply to trolling. Posts not directly on topic will be removed.

Please clarify what you are saying here.

Still rubbish GUI playhead performance!

Nothing changed on Mac…moving the mouse around the screen creates horrible playhead lag.

Logic X runs smooth as butter.

I hoped with all of our efforts providing loads of details and feedback and all the time Steinberg took to provide this update…nothings changed.

There’s really no excuse.

Fact: Pro Tools runs smooth…Logic X runs smooth.

I confirm once again that graphic problems persist. I have no words, horizontal and vertical zoom in the Timeline is always slow and definitely not fluid.
I’m still forced to work with Cubase 8.0.30 which is the only one that works decently, not at all but definitely better than Cubase 9.

I too can confirm that the GUI madness remains. At this point to be honest, I’ve given up on Steinberg completely. It feels as though they are giving Mac users and Apple the big middle finger. I don’t understand it either. It’s like they have something against Apple and Mac… Why? Being this way only hurts them and cuts down their customer base by I’d say over half. Maybe Cubase is about to come to an end. Oh well. Moving on…