Can anyone explain how Nuendo handles ATMOS on PC?

You need to re-read this:

ASIO has no role in the VST rendering of Atmos. Your ASIO driver will playback whatever audio is sent to it from Nuendo if you have it set properly. Your ASIO driver/device has no clue if your audio was in Atmos format, it just sees the 12 (7.1.4) audio channels sent out by Nuendo and routes them to your device outputs, like any others.

1 Like

ASIO has no role in the VST rendering of Atmos. Your ASIO driver will playback whatever audio is sent to it from Nuendo if you have it set properly. Your ASIO driver/device has no clue if your audio was in Atmos format , it just sees the 12 (7.1.4) audio channels sent out by Nuendo and routes them to your device outputs, like any others.

We said the same thing in 2 different ways.

The renderer… renders. ASIO delivers the audio to the speakers. However, without ASIO no one is doing anything with… anything.

My ultimate point with ASIO was that Dolby needs it on Windows. The only even potential alternative would be WASPI but I don’t even consider that an alternative tbh. No one does.

So, we are full circle back to Steinberg wanting to keep everyone in Nuendo where they control ASIO. My hopes are that Dolby engineers are working on their own compatible ASIO driver.

And again, I want to stress this which no one is picking up on. ASIO is capable of being ran unlocked and in use on multiple applications and devices at the same time. Over 128 channels. But Steinberg does not provide this functionality on any of their drivers. I really wish people would get up in arms over this, they won’t change anything while everyone sits back and takes what they leave on the table for us.

6 Likes

ASIO does not deliver the audio to speakers. ASIO is the bridge between your audio application (Nuendo in this case) and your sound card. Sound card then outputs your audio to monitors.
I have tried to understand this thread but failed. :confused:

You do your audio work in Nuendo. You setup it correctly for ATMOS. When finished, you export your ATMOS mix from Nuendo using included ATMOS renderer.
It is Nuendo that uses ASIO to communicate with your sound card, not renderer…

1 Like

Sir, you are not… wrong. :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: