Can anyone explain these dropouts please?

they started a month ago after a clean install of Windows 7, I’ve ran Latency mon and dpc latency checker, both say my puter is ok to run audio without dropouts,
I’ve ran Cubase in safe mode, still dropouts, with no plugins, still dropouts,my puter is in hi performance mode, I’ve tried multi processing on and off (this is within Cubase) had ASIO guard on low normal and hi…still dropouts…
all my drivers are up to date…re installed elicencer, (not that I think this affects it but getting desperate)

here’s the weird thing…if I play one audio track in an otherwise empty project in cubase…I get dropouts,
if i do the exact same thing in Studio one I get …no dropouts…done it six times in each DAW.
I’m not here to slag off Cubase, I am in fact on the verge of upgrading to 9.5, so what is Cubase using that Studio one isn’t? or what doesn’t work with Cubase but works with Studio one?
when I re installed the drivers for my Yamaha N8 i noticed that it installs 2 FW bus drivers…both version 1.4.0.1, is that right? why would it install 2?
I’ve disabled one of them and the audio still works (still dropouts though), if I disable the other one audio does not work…so should I uninstall the one that does not seem to matter?.could it be fighting with the other one?
this is all above my pay grade unfortunately…if I could be sure that upgrading to 9.5 would solve this problem I wouldn’t hesitate but…who knows?
My buffer sample is 256, always ran with this, never had problems…did try 512 but no improvement…

when I had the trial of 9 it was before the windows re install…and the problems seem to have started after this re install…

very grateful for any help from peeps that know better than me…thanks, Kevin :slight_smile:

Already switched windows to “legacy FW driver”?

Oh no, you’ll never manage the complete switch to S1 that way… :cry:

Thanks for the reply, did what you suggested and it seems to have rendered my Yamaha N8 unusable…Cubase will not connect to it…gonna have to re install the Yamaha drivers…thanks anyway…
nothing wrong with having 2 DAW’s…and moving over slowly…

cheers, Kevin

Make sure that your GPU, network and motherboard drivers really are up to date. If you use some sort of WiFi device, try disconnecting it to see if it helps.

Check your Windows power options and disable any USB suspend setting.

If none of that helps, click the Start button, type ‘regedit’, Enter to open the Registry Editor. (You might have to give permission to continue.) Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH\Steinberg Cubase 8.5 64bit. Right-click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Name it GraphicsAcceleration and set its value to 0.

Cubase 9.5 has a new, better performing graphics system that may completely get rid of these dropouts without having to disable graphics acceleration.

You just changed a system host controller driver, so yes, it might be possible you have to reinstall the interface driver.

re installed without issues…so no problem…cheers :slight_smile:

thanks for your reply :slight_smile: did everything you suggested to no avail :frowning: my puter doesn’t seem to have wifi, just a realtek family controller thing under network adapters…apreciate your help my friend…pulling my hair out now…where to go from here…gonna have to wait for the 10 trial…LOL…
can’t spend money upgrading when not sure it’s gonna change anything, never had this problem before, really flumaxed with this…
I installed 7.5 and get the same dropouts…crazy :confused:

cheers, Kevin :slight_smile:

I once had a particular type of hard drive (PNY SSD) that caused issues with any sort of D2D streaming. The drives work fine, and are zippy fast for non-streaming apps, but their drivers sent constant interrupts that caused ‘audo glitches’ on streaming stuff.

In my case it effected DAWs (as well as sampler plugins) other than just CuBase though.

It took me forever to track it down, but eventually discovered that if I keep any streaming audio/video files on a different brand/type of drive that does not use those drivers, all is well again. I tried alternate hard drive controllers and such just in case it was not the ‘drives’. On two different AMD rigs, and one old Intel Core 2 rig…the same glitch filled performance for D2D ‘streaming’ audio with those PNY SSD drives. The Samsungs (as well as all my platter drives) do not introduce audio glitches.

So, if you have some other hard drive you can try hosting the project from, it won’t hurt to give it a try and see if that clears things up.

thanks for the input mate…I’ve been using the same drives …etc for a few years now and never had problems with drop outs…they seem to have just started after a clean windows install so it would be unlikely that it’s caused by one of my drives…hopefully, I haven’t got any other drives to use at the mo :slight_smile: :slight_smile:
I’ve been trying to hang on to W7 but if this keeps up a move to 10 is on the cards…
cheers, :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

In my case, it’s likely NOT the hardware itself…but rather the DRIVERS (and in my case, they are bad for all versions of Windows from 7 - 10). I never could track down replacement drivers for Windows though. It uses whatever Microsoft sends from its ‘signed driver database’, and if there are options to roll around to ‘alternate drivers’ I’m not able to find them. PNY’s web site was no help either (No firmware or driver updates, or rollbacks there).

Some drives use fancy drivers to manipulate read/write buffers/caches in real time, or even throttle other stuff on the system in order to increase their own burst mode bench marks (so they can say their drives are FAST [runs bench-mark apps well], as marketing hype). Nicer drives often have ways to ‘disable’ or otherwise ‘configure’ that stuff (Intel and Samsumg SSD’s come with utilities to fiddle with the various driver enhancements and optimize for the system/situation), but the PNY drives I had do not. In short, they’re fine for fast as possible burst mode situations (dump a big file into memory), but totally stink for timing sensitive, continuous A/V file streaming.

All I’m saying, is if you have, or can borrow a spare drive (of different type/brand) of any sort long enough to backup a project on (so files that stream are on it), and then give a try…it’s one more thing you can either confirm or ‘rule out’ as a system issue for CuBase on that particular rig.

If your drive(s) have any way to fiddle with the cache and buffer settings, it might be worth having a look there as well, in case there is some flag to improve A/V real-time streaming performance. Sadly, Windows updates have been known to ‘change’ things like this. Particularly if you had any ‘unsigned’ drivers on the system. Windows sees those as a ‘security risk’ and replaces them right away. PITA, but I have a number things I often have to manually force back into place (sometimes just change a few settings, others the entire driver) after some Microsoft Updates :frowning:

The PNY disks pass latency checks with flying colors…but they still glitch every single time I try to stream synced up audio D2D from them in a DAW…even with just a single instance of a plugin with samples living on it, or a single stereo track. Again, in my case, it was not limited to CuBase though. I had problems with the drives in every DAW I could throw at it. They even give me fits with something like HALion 5 or ARIA in stand alone mode if content is hosted on said drives.

Also pull up task manager and watch for system interrupt calls. If you can locate any driver, or piece of software that does that often, that MIGHT be your problem (even if the system passes latency checks with flying colors). Network drivers sometimes do this, and it can throw timing sensitive operations off. I’ve even seen cases where the drivers/software that comes with fancy gaming keyboards/mice do it (why I’ll never know). I’ve seen various ‘system optimizing’ utilities, often included with security and performance suites that do it (they claim to improve CPU and Disk performance…and maybe they do for topped burst mode apps, but not so good for time sensitive multi-threaded apps like a DAW). I’ve even seen some video cards with HDMI ports that do it when the audio feed is active (only way to get rid of it was to disable the audio drivers for the HDMI ports or swap to a different graphics card). I’ve seen cases where people were using encrypted file systems and did not realize it (not a difficult mistake to make when setting up Pro [as opposed to Home] versions of Windows), and that was causing issues. Etc…

The stone cold reality of trouble shooting a DAW set-up is that without much experience and knowledge with some really nice diagnostics software [sometimes that is only available by registered service-technicians of specific brands], sometimes one must go to the bare-bones and rebuild the whole setup one bit [both software and hardware] at a time [trying alternate parts and such] to figure out the problem. A long, boring process of starting with almost nothing, and adding things one bit at the time until the problem surfaces. Sometimes we never quite find the problem (or it’s a problem with the DAW itself on a given system)…and the only option is to switch systems, or find a DAW that can somehow manage to work OK on it.

Trying hosting a project from an alternate drive is one of the easier things to ‘check off the list’ as a possible issue.

Where is it reading the audio from? Internal? External drive? what kind of drive is it? Have you tried moving to another one?

In my case, the questionable drives were all the same brand and model of PNY SSD drives (though varying ‘sizes’ under 1TB), probably all from the same production batch (I don’t remember the exact model numbers anymore, it’s been a few years ago now). I tried them on multiple SATA II and SATA III controllers (both on the motherboard and via multiple cards in various PCIE expansion slots, with different cables, etc.), as well as in USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 external enclosures.

Got streaming audio files and/or sample libraries off of them, and DAW glitches (and the system interrupt calls that came with them during DAW sessions) went away. Since then, some of the drives have died, while others live in cheap laptops that don’t run DAWs.

In my case, the questionable drives were all the same brand and model of PNY SSD drives (though varying ‘sizes’ under 1TB), probably all from the same production batch (I don’t remember the exact model numbers anymore, it’s been a few years ago now). I tried them on multiple SATA II and SATA III controllers (both on the motherboard and via multiple cards in various PCIE expansion slots, with different cables, etc.), as well as in USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 external enclosures.

Got streaming audio files and/or sample libraries off of them, and DAW glitches (and the system interrupt calls that came with them during DAW sessions) went away. Since then, some of the drives have died, while others I migrated totally out of the DAW rig to live in cheap laptops that don’t run DAWs.

cheers for the input guy’s tried everything…they just will not go away…but why oh why does Studio one play without any probs…? not trying to knock cubase…I don’t think it’s actually cubase…just something going on that cubase doesn’t like…

You should contact support if you haven’t already. They can be a bit slow to respond but they tend to be good at solving obscure setup issues.

Hi, i contacted support about 6 weeks ago (no answer so far)…not about this, about something else, but it seems to be pretty clear that contacting support is a waste of time,
I’m gonna change my MB soon…maybe that’ll fix it :confused:

cheers, Kevin :slight_smile: