Can Anyone Explain This!?

Both audio clips are bounces of the same exact kick drum except the one that has the extra bit of an audio tail (approx 50 ms) is high passed at 25 Hz with a 24 dB slope.

This extra tail is a total mystery to me! I tried different EQs and get the same result.

When I used the built in EQ in the kick drum VST (Kick 2) and do the same cut I do not get this extra tail - so apparently only with a Channel insert EQ.

Can anyone speak to what is causing this? I do not think it is the plugin but I cannot say for sure!

I tried different buffer sizes and got the same result.

I am using Cubase 9.5 on a Mac running Sierra. Other than that, system is totally stable.

All tips welcome!!

I suspect that its the effect of the filter ringing. Afaik, pretty much all (or at least most) filters have ringing in some form or another, and the steeper the slope, the worse it gets. (Ringing artifacts - Wikipedia)
You can mitigate it by using a less steep filter.

I can’t say why you don’t see the ringing when using the filter in the plugin. Maybe because the filter is located pre envelope generator?

2 Likes

Is the difference audible?

1 Like

In reality the first one will also ring like the second one on playback.
The speakers will never abruptly stop like that, they’ll always keep moving a little after the signal cuts off. This is just a simple physics principle. There is no way you could hear the difference.

Linear phase processors can introduce much longer and louder ringing than what is shown on your screenshot, plus, they’ll also add pre-ringing in addition to post-ringing.
Linear phase can effectively mess with the transients and introduce a “loose” feel to the sound depending on the filter type and Q / freq settings.

What you show here is insignificant, nothing to worry about :smile:

2 Likes

Well this is a fascinating read. I presumed you only get ringing if there’s emphasis/resonance applied around the cutoff point. i.e. as you would play the filter on a synth.

I’ve never noticed when high-passing in the past, although many times I’ve had to make further adjustments with a second EQ after the pass to eradicate unwanted artifacts.

Now wondering if it’s related, and extremely curious to experiment.

1 Like

Try EQing an impulse (draw in a sample editor, silence at -infinity, 1 sample of 0dB, then silence) you can boost/cut any frequency out of this 1 sample long glitch noise. Try also linear EQ and conventional, you can create any waveform you like, after the glitch and even before the glitch with linear EQ.
Sudden star/stop any kind has the same characteristics with this, except longer, means frequency limit of those artifacts caused by the filtering will be lower.

1 Like