Can anyone help me with motu 828 es? , i need a few tips and guidance

Hi Guys !
i know this has been an ongoing thing for new motu users but i am not having much luck in searching for Cubase Friendly help on the web.
i have just migrated to Motu from my trusty 18i20 (1st gen).
although i had no trouble with my scarlet i needed to upgrade so the 18i20 along with my 01v96 are now I/O for the motu.

now…
i need help with the routing and making sense of the different language used from motu as compared to my focus rite :slight_smile:
b4 my i/o was simply displayed as out / in/analog/ adat.
but now i have "multi out usb " etc
i finaly got things kind of cubase ready only to find when i opend the daw no sound…untill i chronologicly found that the output i was looking for is in fact this multi usb 21+21 ???
wtf … how are you supposed to get used to that in a hurry ? :slight_smile:
i dont know of any motu users who are unhappy with their unit(s) so its a case of getting used to it …
but i am clueless after spending two days moving squares in the matrix from a-z and renaming busses and I/O i am more confused than ever
anyone have a preset or two they could point me to so i can do what i do best …learning on the job…
cubase 11 pro
windows
my i/o will be (i hope)
24 ins via adat and analog
i want to send 1x8 adat outs to my scarlet to use for cue mixes and later 8x adat to the yamaha to use for whatever
i am syncing through the spdf .motu>Scarlet>01v96
thanks

needs to be cubase specific
i have trawled the web and motu site and found nothing much of use
this does not mean its not there … just i have not found anything so far

Yeah, it’s really poorly labeled I think. The way I think of it (I have the 16A) is that what you’re looking at in the matrix page (“routing”) isn’t your computer i/o but the mixer application in the actual interface itself. I think it helps thinking of it that way.

So if that’s the case then what goes into the mixer is at the top from left to right. In my window it’s called “inputs” and “from computer”.

So it then says “From Computer 1” for the first channel, and that channel I normally have mapped to the top-left corner in the matrix. To the left of that square we then have from top to bottom all the “outputs”, and those are “outputs” going out of the actual physical converter/hardware. In my case it reads “Analog 1” under “output”, and under “source” it reads “From Computer 1”.

If I wanted to have that channel “From Computer 1” go somewhere else in the mixer I’d just drag that square down until it overlaps the correct output.

Now, if I wanted to route something from one MOTU mix path to another MOTU mix path then it would “reappear” at the top. So in my case I can take that first square for “From Computer 1” and disconnect it, and then scroll down on the left side to where it says “Mix In” and click on “In 1” for example. This is now routing entirely inside the MOTU mixer. This signal reappears at the top now under “Mix Post FX” as “From Computer 1”. I can then route that back to the output “Analog 1” in the top left corner of the matrix.

I know that’s still confusing, so look at the image. It shows where the signal goes
(1) into the MOTU 16A software mixer (which is here playing back just regular computer audio)
(2) to the mixer’s internal “Mix In” section’s “In 1”
(3) which appears at the top again under “Inputs” and “Mix Post FX”
(4) then goes out through the physical “Analog 1” output (left side)

Makes sense?

Normally I have the first “From Computer” channel mapped to the first physical output.

So whatever you want to achieve this is how you’d have to think about it.

Hey Thank you so much Mathias.
I will check it out later.
if its okay with you can I get back to you via PM.
I have loads of questions
I got a series of bluescreens about an hour ago I think the old drivers from the focusrite are playing havoc
until I get to the bottom of this I cant really check out my new motu
it is so very kind of you to help me in this way …
cheers
T

You can PM me if you want. No problem.

1 Like

Thanks for that

Hi Buddy !
so still having problems I have been sitting here for days on end now trying to figure this out and every time I get close …boom one wrong mouse click … and its …start again.
I have had to re reinstall all drivers again and update windows to stop the blue screen of death… thank god that seems to have gone now.
what I have done thus far is watched the same you tube clips over and over again and each time I seem to get close, or at least I think.
and each time I watch the videos I see something new …

I am not the brightest bulb in the socket but even I am starting to think old age is catching me up… lol
I know I have to get through this if not I may as well stop recording/mixing music… such a basic thing like I/O and I am having dificultys …wow
:blush: :blush:

this is what I want to achieve.
my 828 es will get 2x 8 adat chans in from my focusrite 18i20 and my old yamaha01v96
it will then send 8 adats out to the focusrite which inturn will send the 8 outs to my headphone amp via its analogue outs
the 828 es will also send 8 adats to the Yamaha to use as fx, summing, extra outs or what ever I need or should I need

the 828 es will be getting mic pres via its analogue ins and its analog outs will be used reamping,fx,sending a signal to a chamber etc or whatever I may need

my biggest problems are .:
in the setup page whenever I use a preset it defaults the optical i/o as “toslink” I have no idea why but even when I change them back to ADAT it gives me only 2 chans of adat in the matrix on bank “A” bank “B” is okay with its full complement of 8 adat channels
so when I re- input them to A+B @ 8 chans each is where the fun starts … I then have aproblem with the allocation in the matrix…i have to then clear that section and re input it…
which then leads me to problems elsewhere…
result…start again… this is like a bad dream it keeps on happening over and over again… just when I think “hey I got this” …. Nope start again… its like being back at school with a bad math teacher … who tells you its wrong but wont show you where you’re mistakes are … just do it again son ….errrrgh !

not to mention getting the mixer to output properly…
I have even tried working “Top Down “ starting in Cubase first …but that was a stupid waste of time.lol
any way I hope this is not too much for you in one go
no doubt you went through this also …
thanks Mathias
T
ps
your name is German… Are you German ? I live in Germany for 32 year now :blush:

Can you post a screenshot of the settings you have in the setup window/browser for the MOTU? One for “Device” and one for “Routing”.

On my 16A it seems to be working correctly. I

PS: “tt”, no “h”, Swedish, not German…

Tack Mathias
:blush:

Hi Mathias
screen shots
as you can see … chaos
if I want to activate my adats I have to re input them in the matrix.
this has not enough slots so I increase the number of slots in the “to Computer from 22 to 28, then I lose focus and it gets al messed up .
when I completely clear all is what I have been doing but I then lose all orientation and lose the plot …
I am so not getting this …
what do you think I am doing wrong ?

I don’t really know what you mean by “it gets al messed up”. In your last screenshot you only have 22 outputs so making it 28 should give you the extra 6 to make a total of 8 for Adat A. For me switching from TOSLink to ADAT gives me the full 8 automatically as long as I have enough outputs set for “To Computer”.

|

MattiasNYC
November 28

|

• | - |

Tony_H:

if I want to activate my adats I have to re input them in the matrix.
this has not enough slots so I increase the number of slots in the “to Computer from 22 to 28, then I lose focus and it gets al messed up .

I don’t really know what you mean by “it gets al messed up”. In your last screenshot you only have 22 outputs so making it 28 should give you the extra 6 to make a total of 8 for Adat A. For me switching from TOSLink to ADAT gives me the full 8 automatically as long as I have enough outputs set for “To Computer”.

how can you determine the amount of channels before the preset does its thing ?
I wish the could give us that option before we go int the matrix… tomorrow will be my last free day to figure this out … I have to deal with the rest of the world soon lol
I will do this at first all on paper then translate it to the matrix…
I was wondering the mixer has tabs to rout so maybe icould by pass the matrix and do it all in the mixer ??? probably not but it might shed some light…
on another subject …
in my browser when I wandt to check if my signal is coming into the mixer I get no signal leds until I open up the routing box an click on the highlighted input… the all the mixer leds come on(meters in the motu avb mixer)
is this normal or do I have the gremlins in the works ?
anyway its late now and I need to get some sleep
thanks again bro
T

If you load a preset then of course it’s going to override any and all settings that it stores that you had changed before but not saved in the preset. So I loaded up a preset on the Device page and set it up the way I needed it to be and then I simply don’t have to touch the Device page again. I set Optical A to "ADAT’ or TOSlink according to what I need and then I leave that alone and continue to the Routing page.

On the Routing page you can also load presets, but you would only do that if you need to, and if you change a preset then you’d need to save it (preferably under a different name) so that if you recall it later everything is the way you left/saved it. In my case I set everything up after I set the amount of channels to and from the computer in the “Enable Inputs/Outputs” sections to the left of the matrix. I then connected everything the way I wanted it, and lastly I locked the page using the lock icon.

So I set it up once and I lock it and I never load presets after that.

It works for me. Windows 10 with Edge browser.

i think i may have it …yay :smiley: