Can anyone think of a way to expand a MIDI note, so that....

…it’s end winds up aligned to the cursor?

I have this:

And I want to wind up with this:

Without a) having to drag the end to the cursor, and b) having to alter the start position.

I don’t see a KC for this, and therefore there would be no way to make a macro…unless I am missing something.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

I don’t have a solution, but it’s a good idea to get midi notes in a freely played orchestration to end together, assuming the key command would work under “select all”.

Aloha J,

I too do not have an answer but it sure would be nice to have an:

‘Extend Selected Events To Cursor Position’ function.
Perhaps in C7.
{‘-’}

I just learned how to do something similar so here is what i have. I wanted a way to change the tempo and time signature of a project but have all the notes move to sound as if I had not changed time signature. In my case the math was easy. Maybe this might help if you apply the same principle, using the “Logical Editor”.

In my case I had spent 3 weeks writing an orchestra score in 6/8 time at 76 bpm. I needed to convert to 3/4 time at 150 bpm in order to use an external military drum track written in 150 bpg. So if you change the time signature and tempo, the song sounds like chipmunks. So I wrote two formulas in the logical editor and applied globally to each track. Mulitply each notes lenght by 2 and move each note by 2. It worked like a charm as long as remembered to go back and to the same with the controllers. For your situation, figure out a mathmatical expression to accomplish what you want and then write it into the logical editor, hit the apply button and sit back and see the result.

RJ

Aloha R,
Very very kool, smart and clever. Thanx for the tip.
{‘-’}

this is covered in the manual… quite simple, really…

Generally I’d like to see the midi editing updated and improved a bit. It’s ‘enjoyed’ a bit of an obscure life since audio came along. Some more intelligent quantize features for starts and ends of notes for example. Some better use of controllers, e.g. sustains being represented like notes rather than on/off (also half-peddling etc.). Integration of MSB and LSB values into single events…

But, back to the point here. I personally use snap to cursor and the mouse, particularly when doing freeform orchestral. There’s a logical editor way I’m sure but the manual method suits me. By and large I’ve got my keyboard shortcuts sorted so I rest my left hand on my keyboard and my right on the mouse, I’m pretty quick with the editing.

Another thing I do sometimes is to expand beyond the cursor and then snip at cursor then delete the loose ends.

Oh yeah, we also need a custom toolbar so we can add logical editor presets as icons that we can click rather than having shortcut keys or them being burried in menus :slight_smile:

Mike.

Thanks Curteye - Yeah, you should have seen my face light up when I realized I would not hvae to epnd another three weeks fixing. I have noticed something about this post that makes me feel better about the way I work. Of all the editors, I pretty much exclusively use the List editor becuase I love the way it shoes the data. I too use the snip method and delete the leftover. I am also a pretty much 80% MIID person, so I too would love to see more MIDI tools. To tell you the truth however, C6 has a lot under the hood as for as MIDI tools. A lot more than Cubase Score 3.0 did 16 years ago. Yeah, that is how long I have been working with and upgrading Cubase.

there are two Key Commands.
Hold down
Nudge > End Right
until the note is long enough to reach under the cursor.
Then chop the excess notage off with
Edit > Split at Cursor

I’m not sure if they’re in the standard KC set?

Also the Nudge command is depending on the Quantization value.
Sometimes it’s very quick and sometimes … not so quick.

I think that’s the fastest way to decapitate a note for now, if you already have the cursor set at the right location? :wink:

Thanks so much for the replies :slight_smile:

Yes - it is exactly this that I seek.

RJ - thanks for that info, but it sounds to me like your scenario would only work with defined lengths. I am looking to do this across the board, for any MIDI note that I may need to do this with - notes that may be written in future projects. Therefore, I have no idea what the note lengths are going to be, and would have no idea how much they would need to be extended by.

Uh, quite simply, this is NOT covered in the manual.

Thanks for that. Yeah - that kinds works, but, depending on Q value as you alluded to, can be less efficient than just dragging the note.

Any other ideas?

Cheers.

Years ago I used to do this when starting out and this used to be done in List Editor whereas you could just highlight the notes that need to be lenghtened and drag one and all would follow there was also a funtion within the Editor itself that could do this. I score everything so I do not run into this anymore as the values of the notes are are always in the right place. Logical Editor can be set for this as well just unable to remember this at the moment(it has been at close to 20 years since I last performed these operations).

Therefore, I have no idea what the note lengths are going to be, and would have no idea how much they would need to be extended by. ??? sorry to ask but how can one work on a composition and not know what the lengh of their notes are going to be? In the manual and I think they still have it is the lengh of a note in PPQs this has changed when I first knew this stuff but mathematically it all works.

Cheers;

Skynnyrd

Aloha J,

Here is another way without:

a) having to drag the end to the cursor, and b) having to alter the start position.

1- Make note of the cursor position in the info bar.
2-Select desired MIDI note and (in the info bar) extend the ‘End Position’
to the same value as the cursor position.

Not very efficient but it does work.

HTH
{‘-’}

I’d like to know why the Snap to Magnetic Cursor doesn’t work with notes in the MIDI Editor. Could this be something that needs fixing?

Curteye > very good idea, but that won’t work with multiple notes that are different lengths.

I am not sure I understand. In your compositions, you know what the the length of the notes is going to be? How? I don’t know that. Because when I enter MIDI data by playing on my keyboard, the note lengths are all different (as they should be), and I have no idea how long/short they are going to wind up. How do you do that?

Cheers.

The problem would be solved if the MIDI editors respected the following 2 snap types:

–Magnetic Cursor
–Grid + Events + Cursor

…but for some reason they don’t :wink: Only event boundaries seem to pay attention to these snap types.