Can Chord Track Invert Chords

Hi guys as the title suggest,I have a bunch of chords i’ld like to hear how they sound in different inversions can Chord Track invert automatically??.
Thanks!.

Hi there,

its funny you should say that as I’ve just been messing around with it myself and I had the same question! When you first create a chord track and you make an ‘X’ with a pencil and double click it you are able to make different types of chords etc. However (as yet) I have not been able to find a means of inverting chords in this dialogue (which is strange as it does everything else)? However hopefully someone else might know if it exists and share the secret!

When I was reading up in the manual (p.492) trying to figure out how to audition inversions I did discover that if you have some chords in a midi window, you can select the chord editing tab (see attached) which allows you to click up and down and go through the different inversions.

As such (until someone explains where the magic inversion button is in the chord track) you could just convert the chords in the chord track to a midi track, then select the ‘chord editing tab’ and use the inversion buttons to audition them!

NOTE* I think its possible that you can’t invert the root chords in the chord track because they exist as the base chord structure (the governing rules) by which subsequent voicing will be based upon (i.e. other tracks that are ‘following’ the chord track) this might be total nonsense however - I’m just guessing because I haven’t been able to work it out yet myself! :laughing:

Regards,

Kat :slight_smile:

thanks for the answer Bro.I just discovered also if you click ona chord and press your piano keyboard then then name of the chord will pop up in the chord in the chord track. :slight_smile: useless,I know but I thought I would mention it anyway :slight_smile:
Thanks anyway man…

Probably the easiest way to do this is to create a midi part from the chord track. Just select a bunch of chords and drag them onto an instrument or midi track. It might create a separate part for each chord (not at my DAW to check), if so glue them together to make a single part. Then open the part in the Key Editor. Select the notes of the chord you want to play with and use the tools in the inspector chord tab to change the voicings, or mess with the chord even more like changing it from major to minor or suspended.

The chord track is great for quickly sketching out progressions. But the new chord tools in the Key Editor gives you a bunch more control.

Look closer, inverting chords is cake.

No worries dude, :slight_smile: I think its really strange that there isn’t an inversion button in the chord track editor too (there is space for it - perhaps Steinberg forgot?) :confused: I actually really like the function where the chord track tells you what chord your playing because it can be useful if you’re trying out weird/random combinations of keys and you find some bizarre voicing that you like but don’t know what the hell it is (for those who are not traditionally taught like myself)! Its great it puts a name to it and stores it as a reference - cool!

Hi raino, my sentiments exactly :slight_smile: and its bizarre as I was completely unaware of the new ‘chord tools’ in the key editor, I just stumbled upon them when I was trying to unravel the chord track inversion mystery - they are very cool and an awesome addition - go steiny!

Wow… thanks ‘!@#’ for that helpful insight! :open_mouth:

I’m not in the studio at the moment so I can’t check, but I’m pretty sure that you can selet the root note of the chord in the chord selection.

Hi there,

You are absolutely right; you can select the ‘root note’ in the Chord track dialogue, but whichever root note you select is used to define the chord/triad so as you shift through the scale (in the first column) it just plays different chords rather than letting you play the same chord with different voicing’s (i.e. 1,3,5 | 3,5,1 | 5,1,3 etc) such a simple thing to implement and requires only 2 x buttons (up/down) - who knows? Its certainly confused the hell out of me! :frowning:

Ah, okay fair enough…
Once again, can’t be sure but I think you can change inversions on the info line?

Just realised you was talking about the left column, I was talking about the right hand column in the chord section, you can choose what bass not you want.

Also, it’s worth mentioning that you can turn automatic voicing off.

I am not at Cubase right now, but I have used inverted chords easily (chord track will show Am/C, E/G#, and so on). I just can’t remember right now where I did this.

De-Fine music - you are a god! :smiley:

You’re totally right it is there on the info line, man I can’t believe it was hiding there all along :blush: but then again; it seems mighty strange from a usability perspective to place it up there outside the chord track interface (i.e. when its included with everything else in the chord tools tab) some continuity would help!

But regardless thank you very much for your help (you too Makumbaria ) - much appreciated! :sunglasses:

Well there you go ‘easywinner’ closure at last - yeeha! :laughing:

Kind Regards,

Happy Kat :slight_smile:

Guys thanks alot,that’s very observant and brilliant of you,Oh!,and to the great Steinberg team thanks for this tool.Now,my question is what if I already recorded a midi track that did’nt originate from the Chord track and now I decided I want to invert the chords on that Midi track,how would I go about that one…
Thanks!

Again, the answer is right in front of your eyes. Try opening them.

The chord tools in the Key Editor work on existing midi data too. Just select the notes of the chord and use the inversion (or whatever else) buttons to modify the chord.

Not everyone is as fortunate as you to have total clarity of vision :unamused:

We try and help each other in this forum regardless of user experience level - if that’s beyond you; go and massage your ego elsewhere! :wink:

+1