Can Cubase record it´s own Midioutput?

I noticed that there are 16 Internal Midi Channels you can assign to Output or Input. So i thought using this Cubase could records it´s own Output. But somehow this doesn´t work. Unfortunately i could find nothing about internal midi in the manuals.

How does it work and what are those internal midis good for. Can i use them to record from another midisoftware?
Thank you!

Unfortunately there is no way in cubase to route a midi output to a midi input (many users would welcome this - audio channels can do it…).
There are external solutions for MIDI-routing (additional free software) - I am not reall familiar with any of them, but a forum search might help , there have been threads where this has been discussed already.

May I ask what you mean with the 16 “internal Midi channels” one could assign to output or Input? Maybe show a screenshot where we can see this.
Are you familiar with midi and what midi channels generally mean? – I dont understand what you mean by “internal midis”.
Routing midi from another midisoftware to cubase is possible only if the sending midi software provides virtual midi output ports that you can see in cubase on the “input side” and connect with them. Cubase simply finds all available midi input ports and midi output ports on your computer and makes them availabl to route them . It does not do more than that.

Thanks a lot so far! :wink:

In my Setup i can assign in the Inspector 01. Internal MIDI - 16. Internal MIDI as Midi Input or Output to each track. I thought everybody has those. Maybe they are from another, older Software installation and thats why those appear there.

Im thinking those are General MIDI ports pulled from Windows itself, not internal routing ports if you will.
I may be wrong. Emulated midi ports comes to mind.

This really is a situation where a picture (or screen grab) is worth a thousand words. Can you post an image of Studio/Studio Setup/MIDI Port Setup

Also the way you are asking your question suggests that you might be a bit shaky in understanding how MIDI works (nothing wrong with that, we have all been there). If we knew what you are trying to accomplish it would make it easier to clear up any misconceptions.

I stumbled few months ago on more or less the same problem. FWIW, here is the related thread I did at the time.

I just checked and have this as MIDI input ports :

BFD2 is one of the seldom VSTis that offers the ability to reuse its own MIDI outputs, but this appears as an additional port in Cubase, not as a channel. So, I’m wondering if you don’t have a kind of software already installed which adds several MIDI ports on your system, something like LoopBe 30 (which adds, as its name suggests, 30 virtual ports to your system).

As raino said, a screenshot would help…

In the pic attached you see the options i have in the inspector. I can assign those to the input or output of each track.

I ˋd say these are from the nanoKEY…!?

Well true, i have a Nanokey Studio connected. :wink: But those are not real internal midi wires i can use for recording Output?

I donˋt have one - check the nanoKEYˋs manual what they are for.

To record outputs you definitely need additional software that allows to route midi outs to midi ins.

Search for virtual midi cables via google - I do not know by heart what is available for this purpose, but there are some options.

For further diagnosis please post a sreenshot of the midi tab in the STUDIO section! (Here we can maybe see where the internal ports come from).

For internal routing

Again this is the most useful thing you could show us

Here a pic of the Midi Port Setup:

No, I don’t think so. My nanoKey only shows up as a single MIDI port.

Yes, now with the MIDI port setup screenshot, I also donˋt think.

OK, so it looks (hard to really know without being able poke around) like those “Internal MIDI” ports are created by the ASIO DirectX Full Duplex Driver. FYI those are MIDI Ports, not Channels. Any of those should support 16 different MIDI Channels. Might want to take a look at the driver’s documentation regarding how it creates & names ports.

What is your Audio Interface and does it have its own ASIO driver? If so why do you want to use the DirectX driver instead of the device’s?

Also does Cubase even support DirectX anymore? The impression I get is that most folks who don’t use a device specific driver use ASIO4ALL.

Finally I’m still not clear about why you want to do a MIDI loopback? What do you hope to accomplish by doing that.