Can cues display multirests?

Can cues display multirests?
Like for instance:

This one is faked, with two Violin cues, the 2nd without label. But when there are clef changes involved, I get into trouble…

I wouldn’t consider your example a fake, but a proper usage of the feature. (The choice of cue itself, though, appears potentially hazardous from what I can see.)

Can you give an example with those clef change troubles that you mention?

To elaborate further: if the violins actually have two silent bars in between, showing those not as a multi rest bar would actually be the most sensitive choice, as this makes it really clear what to expect to listen for. Otherwise, the cue becomes ambiguous, as the two “missing” bars could also be interpreted as being just let out of the cue, for compactness. The latter is what I initially assumed from the example, and what made me point out its perceived problematic nature.

Yes, sure.

This happens to be around a page break (left-right, Bassoon part):

…after…

Problems:

1. The cue clef at [16] is in the wrong position. This is because I had to create a G-clef in the Bassoon not to show one on the multirest.
  2. The multirest is not centered – I created a clef change to Bass clef to get the right clef look in bar 238, and the cautionary clef before the line break has been scaled to 1 %.

Ah, I follow your logic. True. However in this case, I don’t think there is any room for misunderstanding – the multirest is piano solo only.

Apologies for once more not addressing the technical issue; but on the editing / engraving level, why don’t you set this particular cue to bass clef (which would get rid of the clef changes entirely)?

(See also at this place, including the section following.))

1 Like

Brilliant, that is of course a very good solution! I might even choose to cue the cellos instead…
You have my apologies :wink:
Thanks a lot.

I will have to think about the multirest issue, maybe it would even be better to cue the piano during that rest. But that seems also a bit unnecessary.