Can I burn a 24bit/48khz audio track to DVD in WL7?

I was reading about this and it had not occurred to me that this was possible.

So let’s say I wanted to send some songs out for mastering at a mastering studio - one that has better dithering options than I do. Can I load the songs into WL7 and then burn them as DVD audio, and thereby avoid the 16 bit dithering process on my DAW?

If I can do this in WL7, can I also do this in WLE7?

Going to DVD-Audio is IMO an unneccesary and complicating step - better to just send the mastering studio the .wav files as they are on any type of media (or through ftp, wetransfer, dropbox etc.). BTW, do you have a specific reason to use 48 kHz? Unless the audio is for video, the extra SRC step is considered a bigger quality loss than staying in 44.1 kHz all the way. (just curious)

As to the 48khz, I have read that this is the wave format to use if you want to save audio on a DVD. I’m not exactly clear as to why, but this is what I heard. As i understand things it may be that this is movie audio format and the burn engine looks for this?

I typically record at 24/44.1khz but I could make a change if I had to. As to the Dropbox option, OK, I am unclear as to what bit rate and sampling rate it will store and/or transfer accurately. For that matter do I store it as data in Dropbox? It has not occurred to me to use this as a method to transfer music to a mastering lab - is this actually a possibility? If it is, this would resolve a few nagging questions for me.

I guess I better start experimenting with this, Arjan. But getting back to WL, have you ever burnt a song in wave format using the DVD burn engine? I’ve done the MP3 burn, that’s all.

Well, there’s DVD-Video and DVD-Audio… DVD-Audio is purely a high definition audio format, supporting surround and high quality stereo sound, somewhat like SA-CD. For this format AFAIK it could be either 44.1k or 48k audio, but it is an end user format, not meant for file transfer as such (like CD-Audio isn’t). DVD-Video (your regular ‘rental’ DVD) usually needs 48k audio, and assembly needs to be done outside of WL. I have no experience with any of the above, BTW, except burning many end user audio CDs from WL - and ofcourse burning data to DVD-R, which is also an option for transfer.

Yes, but ask the mastering lab which they prefer. Dropbox, Wetransfer and ftp are all data based, and your stereo mixes should go to mastering as data, easiest way and best for data integrity. If you record in 24-44.1 that’s fine, keep it that way I’d say.

[/quote]
Yes, but ask the mastering lab which they prefer. Dropbox, Wetransfer and ftp are all data based, and your stereo mixes should go to mastering as data, easiest way and best for data integrity. If you record in 24-44.1 that’s fine, keep it that way I’d say.[/quote]

Great advice.

Zip your files before uploading them.

Thank you Arjan and Rat. I appreciate your input very much.