Can I convert expressionmaps to ordinary midi?

I have a problem with Cubase again! The session that I worked on before the summer is now giving me a hard time. I have to try to export the project to Logic. I use the expression maps a lot so I have to convert them to ordinary midi notes!
Is there a way to convert expression map data to ordinary midi?

( I wasn’t sure about this, so i have just done a quick test, and it works :wink: )

Just export each MIDI track as a Standard MIDI File :wink:.

I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks a lot!

Hi
Now I have tried it, but there are no keyswitches when I import the midi to Logic. Is it a special export function?

Ah… I must have misunderstood your question…
The MIDI File just plays out MIDI data that had been recorded with VST Expression.
You are in fact saying that you wish to trigger the equivalent of the VST Expression data directly (i.e. live) from withing Logic Pro?
I’m afraid you have no alternative other than to rebuild the equivalent of those keyswitches (via Logic’s Environment, if necessary… good luck with that!.. you’ll need to create a separate one for each keyswitch… certainly not for the fainthearted).
Sorry about that :wink:.

Okay. But I wonder if it could be done to route the midi from a track to a virtual “midi recorder”, that would certainly hold the notes AND the key switches, don’t you think?

It depends upon the nature of the Expression Map itself (i.e. what is in the top-right section of the Expression Map), and what the receiving Instrument is expecting to see (i.e. what actually triggers the articulations… could be a specific note-on, a CC#, a program change, or a change of MIDI channel etc.)
If the receiving instrument expects to see simply specific MIDI data input, such as the above, then you don’t actually need an expression Map… just send the data directly (and in this case, all the Cubase Expression Map was doing anyways, was to map incoming MIDI note-ons to that corresponding outgoing MIDI data).
If on the other hand, the Expression Map was modifying outgoing data (e.g. scaling velocity/length etc.) then you need an appropriate MIDI modifier in the host application (and in the case of Logic Pro, I don’t think there exists any realtime Midi Modifiers natively, other than by modifying the incoming data at the Environment level.)

I have no advanced, just midi notes C-2 for staccato flute on VSL and so on. It’s just unbearable to look forward to do all the key switching in Logic once again, but Cubase gives me a hard time here. ;-( and I have to finish this project soon!!

I’m now a little confused about your workflow. In what state of advancement is your Project in Cubase? Like I said, exporting the MIDI file will open in Logic, with the articulations that you have already done, intact, and playing accordingly. If, once you have imported to Logic, you still need to add more notes/articulations, you’d still have to add the triggers for the articulations, just the same as if you were still in Cubase and doing so via Expression Maps (it’s just the actual trigger notes that may be different).
What am I missing here?

Well, this is a major project with quite complex use of classical instruments all of them VSL. Running on the main Mac an 2 more MacPro.
Yesterday Cubase was fine with playing the project, today I installed an update to Altiverb and then Cubase went berserk showing max CPU use even when stopped. Sound stuttering an all the usual stuff.
I find myself using far to much time to fix all the errors in Cubase, and I just have to finish this project because the release date is set.
So Knowing that Logic handles VI much better I started the process of transferring all the midi tracks to Logic, partly inspired by your post. But it seem that midi track that have a VST expression map attached in Cubase does NOT export those keyswitches if you export the midi, anyway it doesn’t show up in Logic, although there are some Meta Events that tells the names of the articulation.
I don’t understand why Cubase is so unstable and unpredictable, it ruins my workflow completely.
I love the midi editor and many other things about Cubase it’s just not on par with Logic regarding the stability.
Any help much appreciated Thanks!!

I have similar issues with Cubase. And since, I use the current version of Logic Pro X, I am seriously considering the routine from http://www.skiswitcher.com/

In fact, you are right… in the test I made, the Expression Map that I was using wasn’t just sending out trigger notes, it was modifying the data, and the modified data did get written into the MIDI File, but if all the Expression Map is doing is to transmit other trigger notes, then indeed they don’t get recorded anywhere.

So… try this (but I hope it isn’t more trouble than it’s worth :wink: )…
You will need some means of MIDI Loopback… (EDIT: Ah, of course you are on Mac, so you can use the Mac’s IAC Bus :wink: )
(one track at a time, I’m afraid :wink: )…

1. Route the output of the MIDI track (with its Expression Map) out to the Loopback Send.
  2. Create a new MIDI track, with the Loopback Return as its input, and Record-enable it (you can route this track’s output to the desired instrument).
  3. Solo these two tracks, and Record on to the new track.
    The new recording does contain the trigger notes :slight_smile:
  4. Export this new recording as a Standard MIDI File.

I AM OFFICIALLY AN IDIOT! :stuck_out_tongue:
There is a much easier way (I do usually get there eventually, usually after everyone else has left the party! :stuck_out_tongue: )…

For each track…
Set Left and Right Locators.
Solo the track.
MIDI Menu>“Merge MIDI in Loop”

DONE! :slight_smile:
(then export your MIDI File)

EDIT: and then there is also CShorte’s suggestion, above :wink:.