Can I create this in Dorico?

Ho folks,
I have a piece that is swung to a traditional Zimbabwean hosho pattern. While notation can’t convey the swing perfectly, for those that haven’t been exposed to the music I want them to at least be exposed to generally what the swing will be. The piece is in 12/8 and so I want to create a key at the top of the chart that shows this swing pattern: Is this possible? Thanks!
IMG_8237

Try downloading the “Metrico” font, and using that to enter this as shift-x text at the beginning of the flow.

1 Like

MusGlyphs can do this general sort of indication, but this figure is too complicated for that font. I don’t think Metrico can do it either.

2 Likes

Whoops, I meant Mus glyphs. (Sorry Dan)

At any rate, the other option here is to create a special flow that has just this formula in it.

Create the first rhythm, add a coda, hide the coda symbol, add the second rhythm, and then put a large equals sign in the gap before the start of the coda. You can then use a custom music frame to put this at the :top: of your real piece. You can use the hidden clef option for this too.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea. I was also thinking if I can just get each piece looking nice graphically then I can photoshop it all together into a graphic and drop it in I think. It’s something I’ll probably reuse a lot.

1 Like

I’ll create this in MusGlyphs. Give me a few minutes.

A 3 over the triplet?

Thank you! No 3 because it’s in 12/8 and so even though the grouping is in 3 it’s not triplet. I may be theoretically wrong, but that’s how I think of it and how I notate it. :-).

Type

eee = hosho

to get this:

MusGlyphs (modified)

This was easy enough, so let me know if you want me to modify the design at all.

2 Likes

Thanks so much Dan! I’m watching the MusGlyph video now to learn more about it. Very cool!

1 Like

Dan, that’s amazing. Looks great, and I just bought MusGlyphs-the best $10 I’ve spent in a while!

2 Likes