Can I input notes into soprano staff using microphone?

Hello, everyone

I created a project, solo voice and piano

Then, can I input notes into voice(soprano) staff using microphone (my own voice) directly?

As far as I search such topics here in this forum, it looks negative

So, then, should I use Cubase instead?

Thank you

No, you canā€™t sing into a microphone and have Dorico write the notes.

Just think: are you able to sing with a perfectly clean ā€˜attackā€™, and no vibrato? If not, then Dorico is likely to add several small notes at the start of each ā€˜noteā€™, and maybe ā€˜write inā€™ your vibrato!

There is software that can turn audio into notation; but how good it is, and how much cleaning up you would have to do; I donā€™t know. Cubase does claim to convert audio into MIDI.

Youā€™re best off using a MIDI keyboard, or Doricoā€™s on-screen piano keyboard or the A-G keys for notes.

Finale used to have a thing called Mic Notator, designed for Wind instruments; but it was extremely unreliable, and they pulled it from the app.

1 Like

Nice to see you again, Ben
Thank you for your excellent summary
I understand now
See you again. Have a nice day, Ben

In fact, you CAN sing in midi:

1 Like

Iā€™d be interested to see how well it does. Not $250 interested, but interested nonetheless. :grin:

But of course ā€œMIDI isnā€™t notationā€: a note thatā€™s 3 beats long could be represented several different ways in notation (with tied notes); and pitches are just a number, not sharps nor flats.

Dorico does a pretty good job of rendering MIDI, but I dare say overall, itā€™s probably as least as much work as just pressing the buttons to enter the notes.

1 Like

Iā€™d say this would really fill a void for someone who was a trained vocalist but didnā€™t have good keyboard skills; it could speed up note entry vs. clicking in with a mouse.

The (computer) keyboard works amazingly well here, if I wasnā€™t a pianist or handy on the (piano) keyboard Iā€™d do that straightaway. May be overall faster as then you donā€™t have to shift between the piano and computer keyboard. Depending on circumstances on the iPad or laptop Iā€™ll just do it that way and itā€™s just as fast.

The only trouble is getting the octave right, is there any way to do that on the computer keyboard without entering a note, then Alt-Shift Up/Down to get it to the right place (if thatā€™s the right command, itā€™s in muscle not verbal memory).

I havenā€™t tried it myself but Iā€™ve been told by a friend that scorecloudā€“ specifically scorecloud songwriter works very well for this sort of thing.