Can I link MIDI patterns so that changing one of them changes all of them?

Is there a way to have a MIDI pattern repeat n times, and then when you change the original (or either one of them), it changes all of them?

I’m asking primarily with regards to Groove Agent/drum VSTs, but it would be useful for other instruments as well. Basically I want to have the self-same pattern repeated several times, and changing it in one spot should change it at the pattern level of abstraction, not within that specific measure.

(I imagine this question has been asked (and hopefully answered) several times, but using different wording that prohibited me from finding the thread using the search option.)

Hi,

Yes, you can do the Shared Copy of the MIDI Part. Once you duplicate the MIDI Part, don’t hold down Alt modifier only, hold down Alt + Shift, while Drag and Drop. This Shift modifier will make the shared copy.

Then you can change any of the copy, all other shared copy change accordingly.

1 Like

This works perfectly. Evidently “shared copy” is the terminology I was lacking. Thank you. Is there a more convenient way of duplicating into several shared copies? I.e. if I have a MIDI part and want to repeat it n times, all of which shared?

Hi,

You can use Repeat Events (Ctrl/Cmd + K) and enable the Shared Copies option in the dialog.

1 Like

Perfect! Thanks a lot!