Can i record one track to another in real time?

Because of the bugs in iZotope automation not being rendered, I am trying to figure out the best way to record the output of a single track in real time. At this point I am using a marker track with loop markers and exporting the soloed track and importing that in to the pool.

But is there a way to route the output of a channel into the input of another chanel so it can be recorded?

I just saw on another forum post someone saying send Audio track->group->new track.

I thought I had tried that but didnā€™t see the group available as an input. Of course Iā€™m not at my studio now so I donā€™t have my damn dongle to just test this outā€¦

1. In VST connections make a new stereo output called DUMMY.
  2. Disable the physical routing of this dummy output.
  3. Create a new audio track in your project and choose DUMMY as input source.
  4. Route your other track (the one you want recorded) to DUMMY instead of stereo out.
  5. Enable record on the new empty trackā€¦ as you playback, the output of your recorded track will now print itself onto the new track along with any inserts/ send routing.

I just grabbed my dongle.

You donā€™t need to do anything in VST Connectionsā€¦just create a Group track, send the tracks that you want to resample into the group track, create an audio track and set the group track as the input to that track and record.

6 Likes

Ah goodā€¦ will try this approach next timeā€¦

Both work, the phantom bus I personally find the more elegant solution.
If you create both a Dummy stereo and mono bus, you can also reuse them for Render In Place.
(When you want to RIP to mono) and you only have to create them once, since they are global.

Makes sense. I could see how it would be nice to just have that ā€œghost busā€ ready to go at all times.

Yeah I have those ā€˜phantom bussesā€™ as you call them in my template projects. I donā€™t use them all that often but Iā€™m always glad theyā€™re already there when I need them. I thought Iā€™d come here and offer a novel solution. Lo and behold, everyone knows this trick.

You donā€™t need to create a dummy output or a phantom bus if you donā€™t want to. The alternative is to do the whole thing directly in the mixer as follows:

• add a new audio track
  • in the routing for the new track de-activate ā€˜stereo outā€™ output routing
  • select ā€˜Outputs - Stereo Outā€™ in the input routing
  • solo the track(s) you need to record
  • record on the new audio track
3 Likes

Lots of ways to skin a cat :slight_smile:
The reason we have to jump through some hoops, is that Cubase does not allow feedback loops to be created.
If you have that in mind, it is easier to understand why, come up with alternatives.
Kind of wish there was a preference setting to allow feedback loops, it should probably come with a huge warning message or two.

I suppose blood gushing out of your ears would qualify as a warning. :astonished:

IS this only possible in pro? I donā€™t see any of the ā€œoutputsā€ as inputs when i to to choose inputs on my audio tracks Iā€™m running artist 10 Thanks.

Yes

Stingrayā€¦ replying to such an old post, I know. I would love to do what youā€™re describing here but the Outputs - Stereo Out isnā€™t available as a track input. (even after I deactivate the track output)

Can you confirm youā€™ve done this? Any idea what Iā€™m doing wrong?

Thanks;

I also donā€™t see the option to select Stereo Out as an input. Iā€™m in 11 pro.

@Kearley @dylanguitar, you need to create a secondary stereo output bus. Name it as you wish. Leave the outputs as ā€œNot Connectedā€.

Select this as the output of the track you wish to record.

On the track you wish to record to, select your new ā€œnot connectedā€ output as the input.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! I guess Iā€™ve done something similarā€¦ I just have a dummy Group track that I use in the same way.

I was hoping that there was a way to route the actual stereo output in a similar way. (so I could easily capture everything I hearā€¦ master processing, returns, etc.)

Yes, Iā€™ve done this. It could be you are using an older version of Cubase. What version of Cubase are you using? It should be as stated above but let me outline this in a slightly different way:

• add a new audio track
  • in the output routing menu for the new track click on ā€˜stereo outā€™ and select ā€˜no busā€™
  • in the input routing menu select ā€˜Outputs - Stereo Outā€™
  • solo the track(s) you need to record
  • record on the new audio track
2 Likes

Iā€™m using Cubase 11. (I havenā€™t installed the most recent update tho)

The only way Iā€™ve made this work is by creating a loopback bus. I can see this bus as an inputā€¦ so I route everything thru this and capture it this way.
Iā€™m going to try your exact steps when I get homeā€¦ Iā€™d love to just be able to do it just as you describe.

Ok I donā€™t have ā€˜Outputs - Stereo Outā€™ as an available input. Are you using the Control Room?