Can I remove Groove Agent SE?

I just upgraded to Cubase 8 Pro (ver 8.0.20).
I use other 3rd party drum VIs.
Can I uninstall (from Windows Programs & Features) the 4 Groove Agent items that were installed with Cubase 8 Pro from my DAW without affecting Cubase processing and performance?
Running Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit) SP1.

Don’t think you can remove them and all there components completely but I suspect if you delete the dlls and vst3 files they may disappear from your plug-in list, though I don’t know if that would have a negative effect to your system. But in any case, why on Earth would you want to do that? Why not leave them where they are and just not use them?

Groove Agent SE etc are excellent, every bit as good as most of the 3rd party equivalents IMO and you might find a use for them at some point. For years I used the Native Instruments drum sampler but now I find Groove Agent SE just as good and love the way it integrates with Cubase.

Horses for courses for sure but why not leave them where they are and use what ever you want? In fact, I think you can hide what you don’t want to see from Cubase’s Plug-in manager, but all the samples and kits will still be on your hard drive. Hard drive space is cheap as chips now-a-days

Simply for space reasons. (4 GBs) on my C: drive.
I’m running out of free space.
I didn’t see any place during the install where I could put the samples on another drive.
If there is a way, I would like to know.
thx.

1 Like

Hi DannyDep,

you can actually uninstall Groove Agent SE and its content via the Windows Control Panel → Programs and Features → Uninstall a Program.

Hope thie helps!

1 Like

How do you get rid of the SE versions in the expansion packs for Groove Agent? I have Jazz Essentials but the SE versions remain after uninstalling GA SE.

1 Like

Thanks Luis,
I did remove the 4 GA SE items from the Programs and Features and rebooted.
When Cubase started up again, I received a popup stating,
“VST Sound Library Groove Agent SE Factory 01” (other messages for Acoustic Studio Kit, Pop Rock, etc.) not found with tabs to either,
Locate → Ignore → or Remove.
I chose Ignore. Now when I start Cubase the same messages still appear.
So I am assuming that I need to choose Remove.

btw, if I had been able to install these items on another drive, I would not have needed to delete AG SE.

Yeah there is a way to move the content to another disk. I did it because my SSD C: drive was filling up. Basically you select all the items and move (not copy) them to a new location. Then you select them again and right drag them back to the initial location and create shortcuts to the real files. Search the forums for a thread that provides more detailed instructions (I might not be recalling all the details).

And yes it would be nice for Steinberg to prompt for a location to install samples into like most (all?) other vendors do.

Hi DannyDep,

have you uninstalled all “Steinberg Groove Agent …” programs from your computer? Or only Groove Agent SE? You have to also uninstall GA SE Content as well as Acoustic Agent, even GA ONE content sets, since they will all be loaded by Groove Agent SE. Basically just remove everything that has “Steinberg Groove Agent” in its name.

Hope this helps

1 Like

Hi DannyDep,

have you uninstalled all “Steinberg Groove Agent …” programs from your computer? Or only Groove Agent SE? You have to also uninstall GA SE Content as well as Acoustic Agent, even GA ONE content sets, since they will all be loaded by Groove Agent SE. Basically just remove everything that has “Steinberg Groove Agent” in its name.

Hope this helps

Hi Luis,
That was part of the problem.
I still had three GA ONE content files from a previous install of Cubase 6.5 on my machine.

However, after removing them and rebooting, then starting up Pro 8 I still get pop-ups,
“VST Sound Library Alien Morgan Signature Drums” not found…" ALSO
“VST Sound Library Groove Agent ONE” not found. ALSO
“VST Sound Library Groove Agent ONE - Acoustic” not found, ALSO
“VST Sound Library Groove Agent ONE - Beatboxes” not found. ALSO
“VST Sound Library Grove Agent SE Factory 01” not found, ALSO
“VST Sound Library Grove Agent SE Studio Acoustic Kit” not found, ALSO
“VST Sound Library Grove Agent SE Pop Rock Toolbox Drums” not found, ALSO
“VST Sound Library Grove Agent SE Rock Pop Toolbox 01” not found, ALSO
“VST Sound Library Grove Agent SE Rock Pop Toolbox 02” not found.

Again, I chose the IGNORE button on all of them.

The next time I start Pro 8, can I choose Remove on all of them?

btw, I searched the Program & Features list and could not find anything regarding Alien Morgan Signature Drums.
Please advise.

1 Like

By default, Cubase installs about 11GB on the OS drive, mostly sampler content, which is strange, given that the OS drive is NOT the optimal location for it.

While there is the option to install the sample content elsewhere, it is not readily apparent on the initial install dialog.

Hi DannyDep,

there must still be something there that is looking for those libraries, which is why you keep getting those messages. Either that, or Cubase “thinks” there is still something there that needs those libraries. Please try resetting Cubase’s preferences, and see if that helps.

Regards

I’ve attached a list of all Steinberg installations from Control Panel → Programs & Features
Please advise which ones are affecting my problem.
I really don’t want to reset my Cubase preferences without knowing exactly what that could affect.
thx.

Hi DannyDep,

you could just rename your preferences folder to “hide” them. That way you will still have a buckup of them in case you want them back. If the problem is solved by hiding the preferences, then you can start copying some of them (the ones you need) into the new folder. If the problem reappears, you could just delete the one preference file that causes it and take everything else back.

Regards

You make no mention of the location of the Preference Folder.
I found this topic.

Using the search for %appdata%/Steinberg I found the following folders:
Cubase 6
Cubase 6_64
Cubase 7_64
Cubase 8_64

Do I rename all of these Folders?

In the linked post above, it was mentioned to do that by USER herbertg.

Hello,

yes, it is better if you renamed all of them, otherwise Cubase will overtake the preferences from older versions and that could lead to other issues.

Regards

Hi Luis,
Okay, I’m going to rename them all.
I have another question but I will create another topic because I believe it is a separate issue.
thx,
ciao, Dan