Can I render a track to audio, but then being able to revert to instrument track

You don’t have to select each part. Select the track without a part being selected and it will render all the parts

To you it may be a better way, to other people it may not be. In my case I don’t want the track hidden after I render it. I like to have my MIDI tracks available. I might want to change VST instruments, or duplicate with a different effect set up. It’s all subjective and opinions.

In Studio One the MIDI isn’t hidden after transforming it to audio neither is the track. Then, the rendered track can be instantly dragged to another MIDI instrument.

You can choose to leave the VST loaded, disabled, or removed entirely. Even if you choose the later, at any time in the future you can recall it back to an instrument track with one click.

I cannot think why having more options and more visual cues (actually seeing both the waveform as well as the MIDI) is worse.

Nobody wants to keep learning the daw over and over again. Just use studio One if that’s your preference.

This is the answer, but freeze has some utterly silly limitations: the frozen instrument is locked - I get why - but it’s not ideal in all cases: you should be able to move the part around and cut it, even if it does create artefacts, maybe a warning about cut freezes should appear if you try to render? (decays are impossible to deal with without unfreezing) - and it would be useful to see the midi notes after freezing (maybe you can, I use freeze so infrequently due to its limitations)

it’s really frustrating when things like delete range shuffle everything but your frozen tracks, even if the bit you are cutting is silence. with a bit of thought the team at Steinberg could make the freeze function much more useful - it’s almost like they don’t try other manufacturers DAWs - something the reaper team seem very good at.

1 Like

I think it could be useful, I don’t know studio one, but in the video editing software I use (davinci resolve) there is the “render in place” and “decompose to original” function on the selected part, as I understand studio one works like this.

1 Like