Can I render a track to audio, but then being able to revert to instrument track

In Studio One, when I render a track to audio, it replaces the instrument track with the audio track, keeping everything tidy. Later on, I can revert that audio track to an instrument track if I want to.

In Cubase, I can render a track to audio, but it keeps the instrument track which clutters things, and on top of that, I have to manually hide the tracks. So does Cubase have a function where it will either hide the instrument tracks when I’m done rendering to audio, or it actually converts the track to audio, while giving me the option to revert back to instrument track?

‘Render in Place’ (sort of) does what you want. There are a few different ways to ‘render’ instruments in Cubase, but I am not sure if you can ‘revert’ back to instrument from audio track.

I hope you can find the answer.

For studio one to revert it must still be keeping all the information of which plugin and the midi otherwise it wouldn’t be able to revert.
I like how Cubase works as I know my midi track is still there as I can see it. When I render I hide the midi track. Also when I’m sure I want to keep just the rendered track I delete the vsti track and save as another version. If I need it back I can just import track from the earlier version. Really easy solution plus you know exactly where your midi track is at all times. I personally wouldn’t like it to disappear.

I agree with @mkok. I like the fact that the instrument track stays, this way during editing I can also have a visual of where I may want to do some processing. It literally takes a second to move that to another folder which I usually label as rendered MIDI. If that’s a big problem for people to accomplish, I don’t know what this world is coming to.

That’s not the answer, is it? In Studio One after transformation it will still show you the MIDI notes overlaid over the audio waveform, if you chop the audio up or stretch it the MIDI will be altered accordingly and - depending on settings you’ve chosen - the instrument and FX will be removed from the project to save on RAM and CPU.

Then you can go back to original state with one click.

So no, there’s no such feature in Cubase. In Cubase one can either render the (part of) instrument track to a new audio track, or freeze the whole track. Not saying it’s not sufficient or not enough, just that there’s no 1:1 equivalent :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is possible with a macro

No it isn’t. Macro won’t display original MIDI overlaid on top of rendered audio, nor will it chop and/or stretch the MIDI if you do that to rendered audio. It also won’t remove the instrument & effects and bring them back.

Cubase is fantastinc, but there are DAWs better than it in some aspects and that’s one of them. No shame in admitting that :slight_smile:

1 Like

It sounds to me like you want the Freeze function…?

1 Like

In Cubase, I can render a track to audio, but it keeps the instrument track which clutters things, and on top of that, I have to manually hide the tracks. So does Cubase have a function where it will either hide the instrument tracks when I’m done rendering to audio, or it actually converts the track to audio, while giving me the option to revert back to instrument track?
That’s the question I was answering

I have a macro to render in place:
Render in place -Rendered (with current settings)
PLE -Select disabled tracks
Projet -Move the selected tracks to a new folder
PLE -Name Folder
PLE -Hide disable tracks*
Zoom -show all tracks
my audio tracks end up in a new folder
and my instrument tracks are hidden with the midi data still on the tracks
I think it should be possible to put the midi tracks in a new folder if needed
to find them more easily

1 Like

the freeze function can only be done track by track
and it’s not render in place that creates by an audio file
and which leaves the midi file visible

I would t want to chop my midi track up at the same time. I’d want them separate. The two DAWs are obviously different so will work in different ways. Why have you moved over to Cubase from Studio . One? Genuine question as I’m just interested.

Thanks @Freudon . In your 3rd step though, it says select disabled tracks. But after you render in place, they aren’t disabled.

You might be right. See I don’t need audio of each part, that’s why I export stems for every composition. It’s more or less to tidy things up and save on CPU. Thanks!

I very much appreciate your direct answer.

1 Like

I started off with Cubase because Hans Zimmer told me to :laughing:. Then after a year of racking my brain around Cubase, I discovered Studio One which literally does almost everything better IMO. However, a lot of the people I collaborate with have Cubase, and so just to stay knowledgeable and up to date, I bought the Cubase 12 pro upgrade.

Wow, that’s a system you got going on there for sure.

Not a problem for anybody. But if there is a better way, who wouldn’t want that. Thanks!

It’s also a little crazy that if I did want to render in place for a specific track, that I have to manually select each part in the track. If you have a super long piece, that can get annoying. I’ll have to write in a feature request for Cubase on this. For now, I’ll see if I can develop a macro to select all parts at once, followed by the RIP function.

I’m in the same boat but 20 years with Cubase and recently tried Studio One and agree wholeheartedly that it does countless things better.

This render miid/freeze track thing is one thing done better in Studio One in my opinion.

It superimposes the MIDI on the rendered audio and with one click you can put it all back to MIDI and it reloads the instrument.

You can also drag the rendered track to a new instrument track and it takes the MIDI from that render.

2 Likes