Can I Timestamp WAVE files and export a session compatible for Pro Tools (Cubase 11 Pro)?

Hey guys,

Is there a way I can Timestamp a wave file with whichever time code I am working on?

Any chance I can save said files on a Pro Tools compatible session file?

Would be great for film final mixes, so that the sound house won’t have to manually place my files on their protools for final soundtrack mixes,

With many thanks!

You need to use the locators to export files from Cubase. I recommend using a cycle marker for each cue.

No need to export a “session”. If you’re talking about a multi track project you may need to explore exporting OMF or AAF files.

Export files from Cubase with Time Code:
File menu. / Export /Audio Mixdown. Under File Format use WAV, Choose 48k (for video projects).
Make sure you check “Insert Broadcast Wave Chunk”.
Your exported .wav should be timestamped.

To import files into Cubase with Time Code:
Import the files into the audio pool then highlight them all, right click, choose “Insert Into Project / At Origin”. (That’s Steinberg’s nomenclature for “Timestamp”)

Many thanks for the detailed answer!

1 Like

Any Broadcast Wave File (BWF) you export out of any DAW (or NLVE) will be recognized in any other DAW/NLVE, It’s an industry standard.
Meaning, it will include all relevant metadata including the timestamp data, which can then be used to place the audio clip at its origin time in any DAW/NLVE.
To export a BWF file out of Cubase/Nuendo you only need to check “insert iXML chunk” in the Audio Export window, and you can use any export method you like such as export cycle markers or export between locators, but you must use PCM export (WAV or AIFF).
Plus, if you want to work correctly in the film industry, you may want to set your project’s record file format to Broadcast Wave File as well (in the project settings window).

2 Likes

Thank you so much for all the info here!

I have been working as film music composer since about 2008 and so far I had no requests from sound mixing houses to send them wave files with sound stamps unless they are configured in Pro Tools.

I wanted to delve into it though and see if it’s an easy thing to do, and how universal these time stamps would be, in terms of being opened in Pro Tools, which seems that everyone in mixing houses work with.

If the budget is medium to low, sound houses are happy to work with exported wave files (not with a time stamp), with the timecodes indicated on the name of the file.

I think this is because directors and producers are changing their minds constantly and editing usually takes place until just before a film is released…

Once I worked with a sound engineer who mixed my score, he timestamped the files, and due to constant changes by the director, we ended up with far more headaches than solutions.

A new thing now is request of click tracks, I think it’s a good idea, unless the writing calls for rubato I suppose.

Cheers for all the info again!

1 Like

@somecomposer , just leave “insert iXML chunk” checked at all times, it can never hurt just be an advantage when the mixing house wants to take it into consideration.
BTW, once you check “insert iXML chunk”, it will stay checked forever unless you uncheck it at some point.

Good luck:)

Cheers, Appreciated!

2 Likes

Glad to help out :slightly_smiling_face:
Have a great New Year !
s

back at ya!!