Can I transfer the soft-elicense to a new computer?

I own Cubase Elements 8 and now want to transfer it to a new computer. I only got the soft-elicense and but not the USB one.

Is it possible to transfer the license between 2 computers?

I don’t mean I want to use Cubase on both computers at the same time, but just transfer.

Basically, you’ve got two options:

• Transfer your license to a USB-eLicenser that can be easily plugged to the one computer you want to use your product on, or
  • De-activate the license on your former computer, than re-activate it on another computer.

For details, please see Soft-eLicenser (SeL) FAQ: Is it possible to use Soft-eLicenser protected software on several computers?

Yes, the second option is what I am looking for, but I don’t know how to deactivate Cubase in my old computer :cry:

From your new PC and with Cubase installed, go to My Steinberg (your account) and choose Reactivate. Your old license should be there and you should be able to select it, remove it and add your new soft-elicense to your account. I’m not sure if you even need to physically touch your old PC, the license will be removed automatically.

That worked for me about one and a half years ago. I’m not sure if it’s any different now.

" I’m not sure if you even need to physically touch your old PC, the license will be removed automatically."

That’s where I got confused. If I can regain the license in my new computer by a simple reactivation, then how could Steinberg remove the license from my old computer, assuming my old computer has been destroyed and surely not connecting to the internet.

There’s probably a limited amount of times you can re-activate before you’d need to contact support and explain what’s going on.

Steinberg told me I have to remove the license from my old computer. So how can I do that? :frowning:

I got in so much of a muddle trying to transfer a soft license, especially when I could not connect to the eLicenser data base, I ended up putting the license on a USB e-Licenser. It is so good and such a relief.

You do it by using the re-activation link in My Steinberg. Please visit the page that was linked above. When you run the ELC on your old PC the license will be removed. If that is not possible because your old PC does not boot or it has no internet connection, then it is Steinberg’s problem and not yours :slight_smile:

I have an Elements 7 license that I never use. It was activated somewhere, but I don’t know where. I’ve just used the Reactivate link in My Steinberg and that license is now on the PC I am currently typing from. It took less than 2 minutes. Like I said, that license was on a PC or a Windows installation somewhere that may no longer exist. I don’t know how Steinberg will deactivate it, but it’s not my problem as I have followed the instructions on moving a license to a new PC.