Can someone please explain the "ASIO Latency Compensation" b

Hi,

I’ve noticed on an Instrument track that there is a button that says ‘ASIO Latency Compensation’. Could someone explain to me what this does and when I should use it? I’ve looked in the manual and very little is explained.

Is it to be pressed before any live midi playing occurs so that what you play doesn’t have any latency or is it to be pressed once you have played a midi part and latency is compensated? I’m a little confused.

Thank you for any help

Jono

If you perform a live recording on a VST instrument, you usually compensate the latency of the audio card by playing earlier. In consequence, the timestamps are recorded too early. If you activate the “ASIO Latency Compensation” button on the track list, all recorded events are moved by the current Latency setting.

1 Like

Oh, wow, that is something, thx for the heads up!

Just to clarify - this is meant to be activated before starting the live recording, right?

And would an alternative be simply to slip the played recording to the right by the “true” R/T latency?

Thanks!

Bump on this one, for any new eyeballs or comments - thanks!

Constrain Delay Compensation
Cubase features full delay compensation throughout the entire audio path. This means that any delay inherent in the VST plug-ins you use will automatically be compensated for during playback, so that all channels are kept in perfect sync (see “About plug-in delay compensation” on page 228).
However, when you play a VST instrument in realtime or record live audio (with monitoring through Cubase activated), this delay compensation may sometimes result in added latency. To avoid this, you can activate the Constrain Delay Compensation button on the Project window toolbar. This function tries to minimize the latency effects of the delay compensation, while maintaining the sound of the mix as far as possible.
•In the Preferences dialog (VST page) you will find a setting called Delay Compensation Threshold. Only plug-ins with a delay higher than this setting will be affected by the Constrain Delay Compensation function.
•VST plug-ins (with higher delay than the threshold value) which are activated for VST instrument channels, audio track channels that are record enabled, group channels and output channels will be turned off when you activate Constrain Delay Compensation.
•VST plug-ins activated for FX channels are not turned off but their delay is disregarded by the program (delay compensation is turned off).
After recording or using a VST instrument with Constrain Delay Compensation, turn off the function in order to restore full delay compensation.

1 Like

Nice explanation…just nothing to do with the original question. :smiley:

Yes thank you for spending the time to reply Rudi007 but I would like to know whether I press the ‘ASIO Latency Compensation’ button before I play (record) a midi part or do I play the midi part and then press the button. Thanks for any help.

1 Like

As far as I can see switching the button on existing recordings does nothing so presumably you need to activate before recording…I did try playing to a click with and without and with it on the results fell consistently that little bit later in time as expected.