Can we have a better visibility system?

I don’t use folders much, visibility works much better for me.
As soon as I’m several folders deep, with some automation tracks open, the interface becomes a pigs breakfast.

Instead I create visibility configurations for DIA, FX, MUS, ATMO etc. The interface stays clean and easy for my tired old eyes.
But it is not practical to have dozens of visibility configurations.

What I’d need is a way to enable several different configurations simultaneously, by shift clicking perhaps.
I’d like to have those configurations below tracks visibility, for easy access, like in attached picture.

I also think that there is too much empty space in visibility tab, it should show many more tracks.

Anybody has a better suggestion? I’d like to hear from you.

Picture didn’t make it thru, so here it is again.

Nice suggestion! Fully agreed) (having the same old eyes here))

+1

What I’d need is a way to enable several different configurations simultaneously,

interesting request.
I’d say “+1” because it makes the visibility configuration-system much more flexible and allows you to make any (or none) combination.

I’d like to have those configurations below tracks visibility, for easy access,

Hmm, I don’t think I can agree on your remark that there is too much empty space in the visibility tab. I worked on this feature film the last couple of weeks which held 400+ tracks. Once folded, yes, there is plenty of space below the folder tracks in the visibility tab, but I mostly work with much of the folders opened, which would send the visibility configurations all the way down to the end of the list, which is now already a pain to scroll in because the scroll bar disappears (at least: on my system) and also the track list resets its position after you’ve switched the visibility of a (group of) track(s). VERY annoying…and off-topic… :confused:
Though: the selection-method in the visibility-tab (by sliding over the dots) is a great selection system which I’d like to see in all “list-windows” in Nuendo.
E.g. ; when importing an AAF it takes ages to make the selection of tracks which you want to import because you can not slide over the check-marks with your mouse.

So:
+1 on your feature request
but please leave the visibilty configuration menu at the place where it’s positioned now.

And please:
Steinberg; for once (and forever) take the effort to update, expand, and stabilise Nuendo’s features after you’ve introduced them.

Niek/ Amsterdam

Looking at the screenshot I assume that the request is also about the line spacing and font type used, not just the panel’s position.

You are right, that was my (only) point.
There is simply too much unused space.

Nuendo can show about 40 tracks in visibilty tab, while Pro tools shows close to 90 tracks in the same vertical space (Macbook pro 15" at 1920x1200).

Note that in my picture I used the same font size as is used by Nuendo.

What I really meant is too much space between names of tracks. Lack of vertical space is always a problem in visibility tab, so we are on the same page here.

Though: the selection-method in the visibility-tab (by sliding over the dots) is a great selection system which I’d like to see in all “list-windows” in Nuendo.

So:
+1 on your feature request
but please leave the visibilty configuration menu at the place where it’s positioned now.

+1

And please:
Steinberg; for once (and forever) take the effort to update, expand, and stabilise Nuendo’s features after you’ve introduced them.

Niek/ Amsterdam

++++1

Looking at the screenshot I assume that the request is also about the line spacing and font type used, not just the panel’s position.

What I really meant is too much space between names of tracks. Lack of vertical space is always a problem in visibility tab. Nuendo can show about 40 tracks in visibilty tab, while Pro tools shows close to 90 tracks in the same vertical space.

I see. And yes; Nuendo could handle this kind of real estate a little bit more efficiently I think. Especially this column could carry more information by letting the user decide in which font size it appears.

+1

Niek/ Amsterdam

+1
I’m a big fan of Nuendo’s visibility tab system.
great FR Peter !

So for me, Nuendo’s visibility system concept is probably the best going. But I agree that use of space feels poorly implemented and this use of space issue exists elsewhere in the app as well.

Agree.
Anyway, I went back in Nuendo history and found out that Nuendo 6.5 had exactly what is being proposed, except combination of configurations (see attachment).
A little embarrassing.

I guess Steinberg is experimenting with interface way too much, and the results are often worse than before.