Cannot record midi track. Cubase 12.20 professional

You pay over $600 for this software and they create upgrades from Cubase 12 pro to Cubase 12.20 pro
Initially with Cubase 12 the original I was able to record Midi tracks-The latest update 12.20 Is non-functional. I thought it might be my Yamaha Genos and Arrangers keyboard so I went over to Cakewalk band lab which is Sonar platinum. It recorded my midi track using the concert grand piano in the Yamaha Genos perfectly. It leads me to the conclusion that the latest update. 12.20 Has a midi recording bug in it. I even factory set the preferences with no help. All of my routing is perfect
Midi recording is essential to this software
In fact you cannot even record on an instrumental track using a VSTI instrument. Come on Steinberg letā€™s get working on this - Time is money!!!

Alan Russell professional Arranger since 1968

Hi,

There is no Cubase 12.20, the latest version is Cubase 12.0.20. Update from Cubase 12.0.0 to 12.0.20 is for free.

Could you be more specific about your issue?

1 Like

No crime leaving out the zero I am very aware of the latest version

I donā€™t know how much more specific I could be but when I had Cubase 12 pro the original I didnā€™t have this problem I rely heavily on recording Midi tracks from my Yamaha Genos

Alan Russell Rosenberg professional Arranger since 1968

Hi,

You can be much more specific. There are lots of open questions.

How is the MIDI Input of the given track setup? Do you use All MIDI Inputs or the dedicated Input? Which one?

How is your MIDI Filter setup?

Do you use any Input Transformer?

Can you see the MIDI Part after the recording?

Well this is as detailed as you have gotten so far

Iā€™m thinking there might be some room for at least one or two specifics beyond ā€œnon-functionalā€. You wouldnā€™t tell your doctor you are ā€œsickā€ and nothing more & expect them to figure it out. We canā€™t read your mind or magically see what is happening when you try to record MIDI (which by the way works perfectly normal here and judging by the lack of thousands of posts about MIDI problems seems to be working fine for most folks).

1 Like

ā€œHow is the MIDI Input of the given track setup? Do you use All MIDI Inputs or the dedicated Input? Which one?ā€

Never use ALL Midi Just a midi track created for my Yamaha Genos instrument selection (work staion Genos 1 work staion 2 - it allows you to select your instrument. I created one midi track to test itā€¦ Track 1

How is your MIDI Filter setup? In preferences, Nothing is checked - record or thru no numbers 1-16 are checked

ā€œDo you use any Input Transformer?ā€ None

"Can you see the MIDI Part after the recording? NO when I start to record, it starts off as a blank gray with no midi data - when I stop, it goes back to black as if nothing was recorded.

The same thing happens if I create an instrumental track and select a VSTI instrument.

What is the next step?

Problem solved see the picture

SysEx. Both have to be checked

It was one of your questions that lead me to the answer

Thank you so much

1 Like

I posted the solution. Everybody was very helpful and I went on a treasure hunt and found it

Yes the latest Cubase 12 professional version is functional - my apologies

Alan Russell

Great.

Weā€™ve all been there, where everything you had planned on doing gets sidelined by some mysterious problem.

Thank you for your encouragement youā€™re a good man and I wonā€™t forget this

Alan Russell

Hi all, I hope itā€™s appropriate to resurrect this thread rather than start a new oneā€¦

I canā€™t record midi currently, in Cubase Pro v12.0.70.

I have the MIDI filter set up as above (filter sysex but nothing else).

I hit record and a ā€˜boxā€™ starts generating on the track as expected. When I hit stop it disappears as if it received nothing, so recorded nothing.

I use a MOTU Midi Express XT with Cubase Pro12 on a Windows 11PC.

The MOTU is mapped correctly in Cubase. I can see and choose from all I/Oā€™s.

I have configured the MOTU for all my keys/rack gear and can trigger it all correctly.

Iā€™ve swapped my main (controller) kbd and no different.

Iā€™ve changed MIDI leads, tried different channels on the MOTUā€¦

In the current config I can play back midi files.

If I unfilter the sysex and record, it retains the ā€˜blockā€™ on the track and I can see some sysex data in the midi list editor. I just canā€™t record any note info. I also tried recording CC data (the modwheel) with sysex filtered, and nothing records.

Iā€™m sure Iā€™m doing something foolishly simple :frowning:

I look fwd to your big juicy brains helping me resolve this.

Thank youuu

Hi,

Could you please attach a screenshot of the Studio > Studio Setup > MIDI Ports Setup and Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter, please?

Hi Martin,
Sure:

Hi,

This is OK. Can you see incoming MIDI on the Transport Panel, please?

No. No MIDI activity on transport panel. I can see the I/O lights flashing on my MIDI interface.

Iā€™ve changed the routing on my midi interface to ā€œmerge allā€ which sends the input to all outputs including the PC. I now have MIDI on the transport panel, so itā€™s a MOTU routing issue.
I shall review my MOTU settings!
Thank you, Martin. I may post the fix here just for closure :slight_smile:

Hi,

Is there any software, where you can change the routing of the MXPXT? Could you reset it to make sure it sends the MIDI data to the USB?

The manual says all I/Oā€™s are always routed to the PC, so manual config is not required.
There are user presets, which I use to route controller kbd to different modules, and all those user presets work in terms of triggering modules, just not to PC it seems. Which is weird considering the ā€œalways routedā€ comment aboveā€¦?

Resolved!

It was a the battery backup in the midi interface.

Explains why the factory defaults behaved appropriately but the user memories misbehaved.

Always the simplest of things!

1 Like