Cannot see key signatures in Dorico (Instruments will not tranpose)

I am extremely perplexed because normally I write without a key signature, However, Dorico is not showing any transposed parts.
I like to see the key signatures in the score so that I know what I am looking at.
I also tried to do the parts but they are not transposing either.
I have been trying to fix this for over 2 hours. There is nothing really on the internet to fix this.

I love this instruction. It is absolutely useless. It would really help to tell people what is is they are looking for.

This has to be the worst set of instructions that I have ever seen.
Where is all full score layouts???
Where is all parts layouts?
Where is all custom layouts? eat.

Why can’t I switch between concert and transposed like Sibelius.
I cannot believe that you have to go through all of this.
I have wasted so much of precious time and each time I want to go back to Sibelius.
Your biggest issue is the language that you use. No photos. An an assumption that people know what you are saying such as the list above.
Also, why separate everything like bar numbers between two sections eg. LAYOUT, SETUP PREFERENCES.
THEY SHOULD ALL BE IN THE SAME PLACE. It takes time and it is not easy to get around.
The worst is that you give an answer by giving a person a school book education on the thing they are trying to fix. If a person is using Dorico, they do not need an education on the thing they are looking for. They just want the answer and they want it fast. Sorry but there are some major issues.
But really I cannot believe that I cannot switch between concert and transposed score and the parts will not transpose.

1. In Setup mode, choose Setup > Layout Options.

The Layout Options dialog opens.

1. In the Layouts list, select the layouts you want to change to transposing/non-transposing in one of the following ways:
  • Click Select All.
  • Click Select All Full Score Layouts.
  • Click Select All Part Layouts.
  • Click Select All Custom Score Layouts.
  • Ctrl/Cmd-click individual layouts.
  • Shift-click adjacent layouts.

By default, the layout currently open in the music area is selected when you open the dialog.

1. Select Players from the Category menu.
  2. In the Players section, activate/deactivate Transposing layout.
  3. Click Apply, then Close.

Please see this entry in the manual that explains, with a pretty picture, where the various buttons are within Layout Options: Layout Options dialog

If you want to see key signatures, you need to enter a key signature. Dorico does not assume you’re in C major; it assumes there is no key signature. Add a key signature of C major or A minor and your transposing instruments will show key signatures accordingly.
(And if you’re not writing in a key, please don’t give your players key signatures; it’s confusing.)

There are jolly good reasons for the preferences being split across various dialogs:
Layout Options are layout-specific, rather than just being one set for part layouts and one set for score layouts. This is helpful if you need multiple versions of the same score at different paper sizes, for instance, or a conductor score and piano vocal score, for instance.

Notation Options are flow-specific. If you’re putting together a songbook or a set of movements that differ (maybe one is very tonal and one is more harmonically out there), you may need different rules for how cautionary accidentals are handled. Flow-specific Notation Options allow you to do this.

Engraving Options are project-specific. They apply everywhere within a project.

I don’t mean to be rude, but on this forum I alone have typed over 10,000 posts (most of which are fairly useful), and I am one user out of many. There is a manual that I’ve already linked to, that does contain pictures. There is a YouTube channel with literally hundreds of videos.

There is plenty on the internet to fix this. Please search.

3 Likes