Cannot update 4.2 Authorise Download Assistant hangs?

Hello,
I had a thought about your reply, which may or may not help. Quite often when asked to approve or reject cookies, I have opted for reject cookies. If this took place when I was trying to install 4.2 it may be part of the problem.

I have checked the cookies settings on Firefox, and will check them again, but would it be possible for the rejection of cookies to be the problem - installation cannot take place without the cookies which would allow this ?

If this is the case, how can I correct it ? Would uninstalling the SDA and the 1.3.1 and 1.3.2 installation programs undo the problem ? It would certainly allow for new versions to be installed, and probably the update could place, but I am in new territory here - I do not want to complicate the situation.

Your assistance and advice would be much appreciated : it is quite likely that my mistakes here have caused the problem, as I have had no problems like this before.

I am sorry to say that nothing happens, after the Sign In request - it goes back to the same page asking my browser to allow it to start.

Replied via PM so we can exchange screenshots.

Hi again, I am sorry to say that I do not know how to send a screenshot.

There should be a Print Screen (or PS) key on your Windows keyboard (in the upper right side somewhere, on a keyboard that also has the number pad). Pressing that puts an image of your screen on the clipboard. Holding the ALT key down while you press the key will copy only the topmost panel onto the Clipboard.

From the clipboard, you can paste the image into Paint (a standard Windows utility) to edit, save, or print it. Save it as a PNG file to attach it to a post or PM.

I suppose I was thinking of suppressing popup screens (if that is still done) as well as cookies.

I can just add that in my experience, Danielā€™s diagnosis is the correct one. I always have the same problem with FF, and I must temporarily switch to Edge as default browser to authorize SDA. :exclamation:

Hello,

After a day and a half of frustration, I installed Opera, and was able to install 4.2 without any problems.

I have still gone back to FF, but now I know what I can do next time. Many thanks for all the help from you, I really appreciated your help and advice.

2 Likes

I 've had similar problems with the last two updates. I eventually got them to work but the process of trial and error (mostly error) was, in the end, too convoluted to remember exactly what I did. One thing I do remember, however, is that things only worked after Iā€™d ā€œinstalledā€ the update (apparently) and then rebooted the computer.
Incidentally, I am also a Firefox user and I donā€™t believe there is any kind of setting you can use in Firefox to avoid this issue.
Oh for the days when ā€œinstallersā€ didnā€™t rely on sending you too and fro between web pages!