Cannot use VariAudio or reduce volume on part of an audio track

I’m editing a guitar audio track. I had several takes so I’ve been gluing parts together and removing overlaps. On some parts I can see straight lines (vertical and also along the top and bottom of the track) but I’m not sure what the lines mean. They seem to show where the divisions were before I glued them together but I’m not sure what function they have.
I want to cut and edit “part of this part” (!), but when i cut it using the Scissors tool and click on the bit I want to edit in the Audio editor, i can’t see the usual audio tools menu down the left of the screen. I also cannot reduce the Volume for this part in the main project window because the Volume setting along the top is not visible like it is for other audio tracks.
I think this is something to do with parts, events etc. Can anyone enlighten me so that I can fully edit this bit of the track?
Thanks a lot!

Ok , you seem to be working in events , the way you can tell them a part is the Events have a line at the top and the bottom of the container , so if you double click on the event ,which opens an edit window you then see the ‘parts’ which you can then adjust the length and volume for these in the edit window .
The event’s are built up of parts by gluing them together which makes it easier to move certain parts around the project without destroying the timing .
To convert the Events to Parts , you can 'dissolve events ’ which then gives you in the individual parts which you can edit without having to double click to open the edit window , if that makes sense

1 Like

That worked - thank you very much. It’s called “Dissolve parts” under my Audio menu. I did that and I can now edit it as I want.
I’m still getting my head around these differences (gluing, bouncing, dissolving, overlaps etc).
Thanks again!

1 Like

Ahh yeh , It’s a handy feature having events , one you have worked out your spacing of parts you can glue them together and copy the events so all your timing stays intacked and as you can see once you have moved them if you want to dissolve back to parts you have that option .
It’ll take you time to get used of Cubase but don’t get disheartened you’ll get there

1 Like

@Highly-Controversial Just a minor correction,
Event = Actual audio data
Part = Container of event(s)

1 Like

Jimmy got the idea , i knew what i meant , that’s all that needed to happen , you can correct away as much as you like … enjoy

Please don’t get offended. I didn’t mean anything by it.
These forums are read by more than their OP and ppl get these terms confused all the time. I was just offering clarification for future readers.
Peace!