Can't edit text sometimes (but only sometimes)

Has anybody else encountered this problem? Occasionally, text entered with Shift-X can’t be edited. Double-clicking it doesn’t open the editor; sometimes, even pressing Enter doesn’t work. It’s probably just my perception, but this seems to have gotten worse as I’ve continued to edit a project.

My current workaround is just to delete any text I need to change and make a new text item.

Possibly you’re trying to select text on a condensed staff in Page view, which we can’t do. If that’s the case, it should still work in Galley view.

But my guess might be wrong, if you are then selecting the text to delete it and remake it.

Thanks, Mark, but I’m not using Condensing at all.

If you have any projects that demonstrate this problem in action, please do attach them here. Please also provide some more details about your computer hardware: what kind of system are you running?

I have run into this exact problem today, to a point that I needed to delete and re-enter the staff text as I wanted. Daniel, do you want me to send you the file?

Sure, if the issue is reproducible, please do.

Actually, the issue was not happening today, on the same file. It might be related to the time spent on the file (does this fill some RAM or some buffer or something ?) and the fact that it is quite large (over 24MB).

Was this issue solved?
I am encountering the same problem today, and can’t seem to find out why and how to solve it… I am running Dorico4 on MacOS 13.5.1. This never happened before, and my setup hasn’t changed since a fairly long time.

Make sure you are in Write mode rather than Engrave.

I did not remember it happened to me (thanks, forum!) so I suppose it’s something somewhat inconsistent… A gremlin?

Yeah, could be…

After restarting my computer, I have the impression I have it sorted out somehow…
I am adding my text attached to a 1-line percussion staff; to input info on triggers and actions for a live-electronics part. There is no condensing active, and all staffs are visible at all time in current layout (full-score, page view).
From this setting/layout all text added to the percussion instrument is not editable after input, both double clicking or selecting and pressing enter. What bugs me is that all text attached to other instrument staffs in the very same way is editable at all time…
To edit staff text on the percussion staff I am obliged to switch to the percussion part layout (page or continuous, both work fine).

What is the reason of this behaviour? And how can I change it?
I remember working on bigger projects with multiple percussion setups and players, and never encountering this situation…

Even more precise: this only happens on percussion players when the “single-line instruments” option is selected in Layout Preferences.

Why?

It’s because of an internal technical difference between the way items in percussion kits and on individual single line percussion instruments are handled when selected, I’m afraid. This is resolved in Dorico 5, so if you update to the latest version at some point you’ll find this is taken care of.

2 Likes

I ended up using the grid option (in my case it made no graphical difference since I had only one instrument for that player).

Good to know it was solved in version 5! I was planning on updating soon.
Thank you for your answer.