Can't enter value on automation node

I’ve noticed in Cubase 10 that when working on an instrument track, I can’t manually enter a value for a selected node. Type the new value in but it just reverts to the previous one.

This is a real nuisance.

1 Like

No issue here.

Are you typing in the info line? Check out what you have set in the automation panel. I know if you have “Touch” & “To Start” activated you may get this behavior on any track unless it is the first node.

Regards :sunglasses:

To Start not activated, tried it on all the settings.

It’s weird, it works on some tracks but not others.

I can change the value by hovvering over with the mouse and right-click move up/down, but when I enter a value, it just reverts to what it was before… but not on every automation track.

I went back into Cubase 9.5 and it works fine.

But not in C10, at least not here.

Here’s a video showing the problem.

You see I change the number but when I hit Enter, the number reverts back to what it was.

However, I can change the number with the mouse. ???

From your video, the only other thing that I see is that you have an insert activated on that track. So I am wondering if something in that (or something/somewhere else) is locked.

Like I said… no issue here doing exactly what your vid shows and I do not see anyone else mentioning it in the issues section. I’ll also mention, if not already done, make sure you installed the latest Cubase Pro 10 maintenance release.

Regards :sunglasses:

Hi, yes got the latest release.

There’s nothing locked I can see. But if it was locked, I wouldn’t be able to alter the value at all, right? …which I can.

As it shows in the video, you can adjust the figure using the mouse fine. It’s only when you enter the value via the keyboard.

If there’s something I’m not aware of causing this, I could do to know. There doesn’t seem to be anything obvious.

:-\ ???

I have exactly the same problem in C10.5
It is automation on an insert effect.
It’s very frustrating, meaning you have to get as close as you can to the desired value using the mouse.

OMG, Similar Problem here!!! The volume has no problem, but other automation nodes just drive me crazy!!! For instance, I insert a filter, and set the cutoff to the automation. When I type in the value, the result never match the value I put in!

It seems like it might be plugin dependent?

I can set the level of the master volume fader without an issue and frequency bands in pro-q3 are fine.

But I can’t set specific values for anything I’ve tested in Neutron Ozone Elements.

Very strange.

Having the same exact problem here! Latest C13 Pro. But I also saw this in C12.

Anyone else can confirm typing in the automation node value in the Info Line does not work as intended, or is it plugin dependent?

This is a bug for sure, and very annoying (I have to resort to changing node values with the mouse, and I can’t get the accuracy I need with that).

I’m almost certain that this is plugin-dependent. It works just fine with the Cubase stock plugins, but some 3rd party plugins have this issue.

Specifically, if you try to automate the mix percentage on the Valhalla VintageVerb, you’ll encounter this bug.

Hopefully this specific reproduction step will help Steinberg (or Valhalla!) figure out what the issue is. If it ends up being a Valhalla issue, I’d be more than happy to file a bug report with them!

Also tried it with Valhala plugins - same result. It doesn’t work correctly.
I think that is on the plugin maker.

@zooterman Which plugins did you try to automate when you encountered the problem?

I’ve reported this to Valhalla.

I was trying it with Elektron Overbridge

Possible that the same behavior is seen for many plugins… Are we sure that’s on the plugins and not Steinberg?

Given that this problem doesn’t seem to happen with Steinberg plugins, my guess is that this is plugin developers not fully or properly integrating into whatever software integration APIs etc. there are in Cubase for 3rd party plugins.

I’ll let this thread know if Valhalla points the finger back at Steinberg.

1 Like

hi, did you get feedback from valhalla ?

Unfortunately, I haven’t gotten a reply to my bug report/support request from Valhalla (yet).

I know, disappointing, esp. because they claim “we’ll get back to you within one business day” on their Support web page.

It’s been much longer than “one business day”.

Ok thank you. Just curious to know if it’s a third party vst issue or cubase.

Are we talking about typing in a numerical value of an automation point?

If so, same problem here. I can drag the value up and down in the info line, but if i double click, type value and enter, it reverts back to the old value.

I don’t see how this can be a 3rd party plugin problem, because you can set a value with mouse drag, but not the exact same value with numerical enter.

This is especially annoying for pitch editing, where you want to type in an exact value.

1 Like