can't hear digital inputs??

Hello all,

I’ve been using Cubase 6 for some time now, with the Steinberg csx MR816 interface. I’ve come across an issue I just can’t seem to figure out:

I’m bringing a mic signal back into Cubase via spdif in… e.g., pre amp out>> into Benchmark ADC1 >>spdif out >> into csx820 spdif in. I also have “spdif + optical” selected.

I can see the signal coming into cubase, but in know way can I figure out how to monitor (hear) the signal in the headphones. IF I bring the signal back into cubase via the interface inputs 1-8, all is well. I’m using the control room section to monitor my headphones as well as my monitors. Again, all other aspects are working as needed.

Can anyone shed some light as to why I can’t hear the digital inputs?

Thanks,
Marc

Does the input show up on a track? Use a track to monitor it?

Yes, I see the signal coming in to Cubase. Not sure what you mean by “use a track to monitor it”. Please elaborate.

If I have a signal coming into my interface I set up a bus in VSTconnections, and rename it.

Then if I set an audio tracks input to that bus the track will receive that input.

But I won’t be able to hear it unless I record it and play it back or just hit the monitor button on the track to hear the live input.

The default setting is to have the monitor button turn on when you highlight the track.

Not sure if that’s what’s going on, is the meter on the track bouncing from your input?