Can't install the installer... .NET framework missing? HELP!

Hey everyone,

it’s a nightmare. When trying to install my purchased Cubase 11 Pro Upgrade (from Cubase 7 to 11) the Steinberg Download Assistent tries to start a Setup.exe which itself keeps asking for the (completely outdated) .NET v 4.0.30319. I’m running Win10 and I cannot install another framework because the .NET framework installer says that the .NET framework is already installed!

Can someone please help me? Thanks a lot in advance!
Tommy

I have the same problem with Download assistant. I have .network 3.5 and 4.8 installed on a Windows 10 machine. Cannot install .net v4.0 as I have a later version installed. Why should I have to revert my .net framework version and possibly cause problems with other applications?
This problem has obviously been around for more than 2 years - what rubbish!

Nobody is required to backdate the .NET framework to install the Download Assistant under normal circumstances. If that were the case there would be a thread 5 miles long on this forum with people (understandably) complaining about it.
On our machines here (Windows 11), .NET is at V3.5 / V4.8 and the SDA installs uneventfully.
There’s likely something specific about your Windows configuration that is causing this issue.

1 Like

A quick Google search shows many results with this particular problem. I’ll recheck my NET framework but still wonder why this particular version is showing as being required…

The version is presumably the minimum required for the SDA to run, but it should be handled by the backward compatibility of V4.8.
Here’s a few things to try:

Run the .NET repair tool which you can get from here.

If that doesn’t get the desired result, open a command prompt window in admin mode and enter the following:

sfc /scannow

This will scan for damaged Windows files and replace them where possible. Let it run till the end and it will tell you if it found corrupted files and whether it was able to repair them or not.
I suggest running the sfc command twice as it sometimes finds more damage after the first pass.

Also run this from the same command prompt:

dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

This is another Windows file repair utility which goes about things in a different way from the sfc command.

Thanks KT66!
I tried the .NET repair tools but no luck…
Ran sfc as suggested and that picked up 4 or 5 errors in the MicrosoftNET Framework and Framework64 folders and reported the files were corrupt and couldn’t be corrected…
I have a second PC running Windows 10 and managed to copy valid files to the problem PC.
Rebooted and the problem seems to have been corrected in that I can now install the Steinberg software and products. Hopefully other programs on the PC are not affected!
Thanks for the advice and apologies for initially blaming Steinberg for what appears to have been a Microsoft file corruption issue…

:+1:

I’m glad you got it sorted.