Can't open file

I’m using a nord electro. No other utilities.will try with some different controllers when I get home.
The problem with opening files occurs without anything connected.

I use a Behringer U-Control MIDI keyboard. Disconnecting it did not solve the problem.

Dorico doesn’t recognize this keyboard. I cannot use it for note input.

I also tried without success: closing Finale 2014.5, restarting the iMac.

I don’t have or use any other MIDI devices or software.

Thomas

I’m using no MIDI keyboard at all.

I have just solved my midi keyboard issue by following these steps:

1. Open the Audio and Midi Setup application
  2. Select Midi Studio
  3. Press the Network icon
  4. Uncheck any running network session

This solved my issue. Hopefully, it might help other people with the same problem …

Best,
Boye

And, this solution also solved my file opening problem, though apparently only with projects created after my fix was implemented. Hope this helps …

Best,
Boye

As a workaround, you can remove the engine data from the file in order to load it again. Just rename the .dorico file to .dorico.zip then open the zip and delete the folder supplementary_data/vstaudioengine, and then zip it up again, and rename back to .dorico

I opened Audio and Midi Setup, recognized that no network sessions were activ (so I couldn’t uncheck anything), then relaunched Dorico and it loaded my previously saved project correctly.

Thank you, Boye, for yout help.

But my Behringer U-Control still cannot be used for note input in Dorico.

Thomas

I tried your workaround, but get an error message when opening the adjusted file: »Invalid file format«.

Best,
Boye

The same for me.

And: After opening Finale 2014.5 Dorico again won’t open files. Closing Finale, opening Midi Setup now does not solve the problem as it did before.

Thomas

This also worked for me!
After disabling midi over network, I can use my midi keyboard, and I can open the new files I create.
However - I still can’t open the files I created while I had midi over network enabled. Any workaround for this?
When I deleted the vstaudioengine folder inside of the file, I got the same error message as Boye and Thomas.

You could try copying the vstaudioengine folder from one of your new working projects.

Still says invalid file format

Is there any other way I can alter the file without making it invalid?

If you have some files you can’t open then zip them up and attach here, or if you prefer PM them to me and I’ll see what I can do.

Hello Mister Walmsley

I mailed you two files with following explanation:

So, i installed Doric also on my macbook pro and save and open files work all fine. On my mac pro i can also open a file saved on my macbook pro, but when i save it on mac pro i can’t reopen it again.

I attached the same file twice, could you please help me?
Doric looks promising and i am willing to stay with but i want at least work on my mac pro 6 core 32 Gb ram and multi monitors.

Thank you and best wishes for your product
greetings

did you get it?

Regarding this issue of not being able to open specific Dorico project files, we found already a flaw in our code and are working on a hotfix.

Just checking in on this thread: is anybody still encountering this problem at the moment? If so, please PM me and we can try sending you a new version of the audio engine to try.

I had a similar problem opening in Mac Dorico Projects saved in Windows 10. I copy/paste part of the issue

work scores mainly in my Surface Pro 4, it doesn’t matter if it´s Sibelius, Notion or Dorico. In the SP4 I work with Kontakt running inside VEP5, BST First Chairs for a String Quartet I´m writing.

BUT when I tried to open this Dorico Files on MAC, it gets frozen at 50%. Then I saved the Quartet on Dorico Windows two new times with different configurations and worked:

1-One Save without Engine(No Halion, No Nothing) - OPENS ON MAC, NO PROBLEMO
2-Another Save with the Halion Standard(Apply Default Playback Template) - OPEN IN MAC, AGAIN NO PROBLEM

Why is this happening? I use the same VEP-Kontakt-BST Template for SQs with Sibelius and Notion, and they open on Mac without any problems.

Regards,
Juan

The reason that it happens is because there’s something that can happen on mac that causes some data to go missing from the audio engine file format. When the engine tries to reload it, the data isn’t in the format it expects and the engine can crash or hang (which leaves Dorico hanging at 50%). We’ve got a fix for it not being able to load the files that were previously created, but up to now we haven’t been able to reproduce the cause of the data going missing.

Can you let us know what plugins and input devices you have installed on your mac?

Wow! I have almost everything you can imagine: Waves Full, Native Instruments Komplete, a lot of iLok stuff, Antares, etc, etc…

But there´s no problem to me with my Windows Surface Pro 4 workaround. I only told you to let you know this problem. Of course I´d like to not have this issue, because I have to insert again VEP, etc… but with Dorico I´m only work on Mac for the final mix with a much bigger Kontakt Template inside VEP5.

I like very much Dorico, it´s beautiful and I can run VEP & Kontakt much easier than with Sibelius or Notion. I like very much the panels to control everything and the different modes.

Just polish it. I´m working ONLY with Dorico since I bought it last week and for now I can do everything I do in other Notation Programs with some workarounds, but I´m very happy with my purchase.

Please solve the issues and update the PLAY MODE. I can´t wait to edit the lanes for my Kontakt Libraries.

Cheers, saludos,
Juan