Can't scroll down to assign instrument in large project

This is driving me insane. I can’t scroll down in order to assign an instrument to my piano. Dorico forces the menu to return to the top. Same issue happens when trying to scroll horizontally through the mixer panel. On a Mac Pro tower running latest version of Dorico.

I have the same problem in Dorico 4 also screens open up to big for my monitors and I can scale them because I can not get to the handles.

Dorico team-is there somewhere else that I can assign this routing? This is a complete show stopper for me. Thanks!

No, unfortunately there’s nowhere else you can assign that routing. However, if I create a project with so many plug-ins instantiated that the menu is taller than my display, if I click and drag in the menu with the left-mouse button, Dorico allows the menu to stay at that position, and then I can click again to select the specific instance that I want to use.

That does not work reliably for me. I’m sitting here not able to assign an instrument to a pair of claves because the left click and drag thing only works until the 13th vst becomes the top. reselecting and trying to drag just rubberbands the menu up and down. I currently have 46 VSTs and can only get down to number 39. This is a real bummer and really feels like an urgent bug (not just a feature request).

Things will be improved in the next update. The problem occurs because you have multiple displays, and Dorico (via an unhelpful behaviour of the Qt framework) allows the size of drop-down to assume the height of the largest display attached, not the display on which the drop-down is actually appearing. Until the new update arrives, try moving the Dorico project window onto your larger display.

2 Likes

Thank you. I have two displays of the same size and resolution. I’ll try the other display in any case or even turning off one just so I can get this fixed. That’ll at least get me back up and running. Thanks!

Yeah, just tried moving to the other monitor and that didn’t work, but unplugging the other monitor worked.

This is still an issue on my Windows 11 laptop. In a project with a large number of part layouts, the bottom two parts are unable to be selected. I scrolled to the bottom of the list, but the parts are still outside of the visible range (probably displaying underneath the Windows explorer bar at the bottom of the display).

FYI this sounds like a different issue, so you may want to start a different thread.

I found a thread dedicated to that topic specifically, and Daniel linked to this thread saying it was related. If you think it’d be useful, however, I’m happy to do it!

Ah ok. My issue was not being able to assign VSTs (see video above). That has been corrected in the update.

Isaac, when the menu pops up and is visible, try clicking and dragging it to scroll it; you should be able to drag it such that the final two items are brought into view.