Can't select audio output device on new projects

When I go to the drop-down menu to select an audio output device, the device I want is there but when I click on it, nothing happens. This is the case for both my Focusrite and the laptop’s own driver. However, this only happens for new projects - old projects are fine. Also, I can successfully select an input device and it records audio just fine.

Have you setup connections? It sounds like the output has been lost or configured.

Hi,

Could you try to reinstall the driver (if you are on Windows, make sure, you install it as administrator), please?

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

I tried to open Safe Mode by pressing Ctrl-Shift-Alt but I didn’t get the dialogue box that the manual says I should see. Instead it goes to the Steinberg Hub as normal. Is there another way to open it?

Since neither my Focusrite nor my laptop’s drivers work, I assume this is a problem with Cubase rather than the drivers, especially since older projects and audio outside of Cubase are fine.

Hi,

Sorry, there is no other way. It seems, you press the combination too late.

I managed to open Safe Mode eventually by holding down the keys before the “initialising” window appeared and while in it, I found the problem wasn’t present. I then went back and played around with my projects and managed to find a fix: new projects only succumbed to the same issue when I opened them after opening a particular file which must have been source of this. When I opened them first, the issue wasn’t present, so I’ve copied all my work from the original corrupt file (of which there wasn’t much anyway) into an empty project and it seems to be working fine.

Thanks for your help

Maybe the Control Room needs to be disabled. Not able to select output device if control room is enabled.